section arrow font

Ride

Question

Why do my section and elevation markers look crappy?  The font on the top digit is different from the one below, but they are the same.  And they look proper on screen.  Is there a fix, or a setting for this?

See attached screen shot...

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 20.24.37.png

13 answers to this question

Well, it's supposed to be Helvetica.  And the lower 3 is, but the 2 isn't.  It's tall and off-centre.  I'll live with it before changing fonts, but this didn't happen in previous versions.  And as mentioned, it looks proper on screen, it just doesn't print/export properly...

13 hours ago, MullinRJ said:

What version of VW? What computer? What OS? You really need to add a signature with these items to get the best answers.

TIA,

Raymond

Sorry, I usually put that in at the bottom.  Yes, I need to get a signature going.  

Specs:

VW2019 SP3.1

Macbook Pro mid 2015 OS 10.11.6 

Thank you for that.

Could you attach a screenshot of the OIP? There are a lot of settings for this marker, and that would be a lot easier than listing them all separately. Or better yet, attach a small file that has your offending marker in it for others to examine. This should save a lot of guessing if the answer is not obvious.

Raymond

My guess is that you have a font problem and that they are formatted for different fonts, but one (probably the top) is formatted for a font that you don't have and the VW Font Substitution is kicking in and making them the same on screen.

OR

One if formatted for a font that can't be embedded in a PDF, so the PDF is substituting it with a different font.

I agree with Raymond. Make a small test file that shows the issue for you and post it so we can take a look.

Very Strange. 

It is doing the same thing to me here on a Mac. If you decompose the Section Line and Section Marker, both pieces of text are in the same text block.

You are correct that it looks right on the screen but exports wrong as PDF. But only when there is only a single digit in the Drawing Number field.

The workaround is to enter both the Drawing Number and the Sheet Number with a space after them. Then they export OK and the very slight misalignment is not really noticeable.

This is definitely worth filing a bug report on. Make sure to mention that it only happens when the Drawing Number is a single digit. It is definitely related to the Drawing Number because if you switch the marker to show Sheet over Drawing Number, the smaller font goes to the bottom.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MullinRJ said:

Also worth noting is that the problem does not present itself when using the PRINT menu to Print-To-PDF option.

Raymond

Strange, it works through printing.  Either way I would submit the bug report - but I actually don't know how to.  I can't post to the known issues section, so will a moderator see it here and move it?  Or is there a separate section for bug reporting?

EDIT:  Nevermind, I spoke too soon.  I found it...

Edited by Ride
2 hours ago, Ride said:

Strange, it works through printing.  

As it was explained to me recently by Gunther Miller, the PRINT menu command is supported by APPLE, and the EXPORT menu options are support by Vectorworks. Thanks for submitting the BUG.

Raymond