Bad Solid Subtraction!

Bruce Kieffer

Question

I have dealt with this for years and now it's time to revisit. Why is my solid subtraction not 3/4" thick? Instead it's .7500000004 thick. This makes no sense, and it is causing me problems with alignment of other objects. In the real world if I drill a hole into something, that action does not change the thickness of the object, but with Vectorworks it does. Why? I have attached a sample file.

1785911686_ScreenShot2019-05-03at4_48_27PM.thumb.png.8dc56276759db5b3c1102e273d64cbac.png

Bad Solid Subraction.vwx

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

crazy...

seems to have something to do with the object type that the biscuits are created with

try to edit the biscuits and convert the oval to a nurbs curve, make a nurbs surface of it and extract it with the push pull tool

after exiting the symbol your front plate keeps it´s original dimensions...

On 5/6/2019 at 4:21 AM, bjoerka said:

crazy...

seems to have something to do with the object type that the biscuits are created with

try to edit the biscuits and convert the oval to a nurbs curve, make a nurbs surface of it and extract it with the push pull tool

after exiting the symbol your front plate keeps it´s original dimensions...

Thanks bjoerka. I just gave it a try. That seems to fix the problem. I do need to ungroup the bad solid subtractions and subtract them again to make them behave as I want. Thanks. All I did was go to my biscuit symbol, edit #D component, convert to NURBS, and that was enough.

I've been working trying to "fix" the same issues with the dovetail pin I use to model dovetailed drawers. Getting that to work was more difficult. I tried a bunch of different ways to model the dovetail pin, and finally the one that worked was a basic extrude where I used the taper face tool to make the 14° sides.

Guest Alex Sagatov

@Bruce Kieffer The slight change seems to be coming from the 3D Symbols; however, I can't seem to find anything about them that would cause this... I have submitted your example file to our Engineering Team for further review ( VB-160298 ).