Connect vision to grandMA3

Hi ! Today I loose 12 Hours to connect Grand Ma3 ( run grandMA2 Os) to vision , without results . My question is :

Is there a guide to make this ?

My configuration :  MA3 (grand MA 2 OS )  conected al my workstation trought a Zyxtel Switch (1Gb/s)  . Ip adress of my NetworkCard : 192.168.0.220  . ip on Ma > 192.168.0.25

I changed more times all ip's. I installed 3 Time Vision 2019 Sp1 .

Note: grandMA on PC connect succesfull to grandMA3 , withowt problems .

Any solution

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

To the best of my knowledge, GrandMA has decided that they are dropping support for non-MA3D pre-vizualizers with there MA3 console. If you want to use an MA3 with Vision (or as far as I know any other previz not created by MA), you must use Artnet or sACN.

Please let us know if you run into any issues with those protocols, however! We have not had any problems here in-house, but if you experience issues we'll be glad to help!!

If you are using a Mac to run Vision your only chance to get MA to connect is by Artnet or sACN, for that to happen these configurations are need:

sACN

- Console and visualizer have to be on the same subnet range.

- Console has to be in session and sACN output has to be activated (Network Configurations tab)

- Console has to be connected to your switch threw port number 1

Artnet

- Visualizer IP has to be in the 2.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x range

- Console has to be in session and Artnet output has to be activated (Network Configurations tab)

- Console has to be connected to your switch threw port number 2 to be able to output Artnet, if you also want to connect an OnPC then another cable to port 1 has to be connected.

If you are using a PC you also have the option of downloading the ESP Vision driver from MA Lighting's web page. After installing configure the driver to the IP address your NIC is using and Session your MA is running. You also have to be in session and connected to port 1 of the desk.

19 hours ago, bbudzon said:

To the best of my knowledge, GrandMA has decided that they are dropping support for non-MA3D pre-vizualizers with there MA3 console. If you want to use an MA3 with Vision (or as far as I know any other previz not created by MA), you must use Artnet or sACN.

Do you have any more info about why they are dropping support for non-MA3D visualizers via MAnet, or should I pose this question to someone at ACT?

So guys. I finally succeeded, but he didn't ask me why I don't know. On my workstation I have mounted 3 network adapters for these things, I configured them like this: 1. in artnet 2.grandMA-net. 3 SANC and I don't know how but I succeeded. I must say that I also installed the gMA-ESPVisio driver from MA.

Another question : Why light beams are seen in low resolution (pixelized). What settings should I touch? Screenshot_1

[My config: I9-7940X @3.10Ghz ; 128 GB Ram .RTX 2080Ti 12GB   Vision Preference : All MAX]

Connecting the grandMA to ESP Vision.pdf

Screenshot_1.png

• Like 1

@Charlie Winter

On 5/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, Charlie Winter said:

Do you have any more info about why they are dropping support for non-MA3D visualizers via MAnet, or should I pose this question to someone at ACT?

To provide a little more information, when testing the MA3 over MANet with Vision we ran into issues. When contacting MA about getting an updated .dll for MA3 support we were told this is not currently being worked on.

What I'm getting ready to say is just what I was told, so take it with a grain of salt. That being said, it makes sense to me. MA, at one point in time, got into a little bit of political drama with what previsualizers they chose to support. WYSIWYG and ESP Vision were, at one point in time, the only previzualizers that supported MANet as MA supplied the companies with .dlls but did not supply the other companies with one. MA, rather than playing "favorites", wants to come up with a more universal solution to hooking up MA3 to 3rd party previsualizers. This just may take some time.

I hope that sheds a little light on the matter, and I certainly don't blame them for the choices they make. It makes business sense to treat all previsualizers equal and to not waste development time making a .dll per previz (which I understand is what was done in the past). Having a more universal approach makes the code more reliable and more readily available.

If you'd like to express your interest in getting the MA3 to connect to Vision over MANet, I would recommend contacting ACT.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:49 AM, zeroInf said:

Another question : Why light beams are seen in low resolution (pixelized). What settings should I touch?

@zeroInf I'm so glad you got things running! You have a few options as far as increasing the quality of the beams/volumetrics.

First and foremost, you can toggle the "Enhanced Volumetrics" on and off. When they are turned on, we use our new 2019 ray-tracing algorithm which looks FANTASTIC when doing audience scans. When they are turned off, we use the older Vision 4 style volumetrics which use a slicing algorithm which can look more "choppy" but less "fuzzy" at lower resolution (as we will see in my next example).

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 2.38.44 PM.png

Enhanced Volumetrics On

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 2.37.54 PM.png

Enhanced Volumetrics Off

I tend to prefer the newer 2019 Enhanced Volumetrics, but the older style volumetrics can look "sharper" at lower "Resolution Quality" settings.

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 2.24.03 PM.png

Enhanced Volumetrics On - Low Resolution Quality

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 2.24.48 PM.png

Enhanced Volumetrics Off - Low Resolution Quality

That being said, you have a GREAT graphics card 😄 And you can generally afford to bump those settings up as you've stated!! So here is what that same image looks like in 2019 with the Resolution Quality as high as it goes.

Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 2.28.58 PM.png

Enhanced Volumetrics On - High Resolution Quality

As you can see, there is still SOME fuzziness to them but in general they are MUCH sharper.

Whether you are using the old style volumetrics or the "Enhanced Volumetrics", be sure to adjust the "Volumetric Quality" to get more slices (in the old algorithm) or less fuzz (in the new "Enhanced Volumetrics"). Also make sure you maximize Vision or go into Fullscreen mode to fully leverage your screen real estate and resolution when aiming for higher quality real-time renderings.

We are also looking into additional settings for the ray-traced enhanced volumetrics for 2020 for higher end graphics cards that will reduce the "fuzz" even further 😉

Stay tuned!!