Scale Bar

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Stu

Have you tried the different styles? I am guessing you have, but just wanted to make sure. 

They will also respond to different attributes. For example, my favourite option is Flip, with a nice fill colour (or hatch) applied.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I can certainly create a wish-list item for you. This might prove a little more tricky to sort as a parametric object, as it would need to take into consideration two different units of measure in the file, and these could be different depending on the user's needs.

However, there is no reason why you couldn't just draw your example up and save it as a standard symbol, and then just drop it into the annotations of your viewport. It will automatically display at the correct size for the scale of the viewport. That would be the faster fix.

I hope that helps.

• Like 2

What would be awesome is if you could select the scale manually - so you could have an A1 scale bar and an A3 scale bar on the same page and be able to place it on the sheet layer rather than inside the annotation layer, so you don't have to keep adjusting its position if you move the viewport...

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
On 5/4/2019 at 10:22 AM, Aspect_Design said:

What would be awesome is if you could select the scale manually - so you could have an A1 scale bar and an A3 scale bar on the same page and be able to place it on the sheet layer rather than inside the annotation layer, so you don't have to keep adjusting its position if you move the viewport...

Yes I don’t like the vw scale bars and I like to place the scale bar on the sheet rather than in the viewport as my viewports often move and I like to have my scale bar stay in the same place. 

My workaround is Ive made a bunch of custom scale bar symbols the way I like them for the range of different scales we use. They work on either A1 or A3 sheets and are tucked nicely in the bottom of my sheets and stay there

Our drawing template sheets already have a “dummy” scale bar symbol on then which is replaced with the correct scale bar symbol prior to issue.

Of course the symbols don’t auto update if the vp scale changes so this needs to be done manually. However we always check our drawings prior to issue anyway.

if there was a way to incorporate the scale bar into the title block, similar to North points, but also have the title blocks auto update to whatever scale vp’s are on the sheet that would be ideal. 

• Like 1