Color Shifting In EPS files

I have worked on several color plans that a client wanted in eps format. I did the rendering in vetorworks just using fills and symbols. The drawing looked fine up to the point I exported it to eps format. Upon opening the file as an image all of the color had shifted to CMYK. The only work around I have found is to create a pdf and the convert that to an eps. I wanted to find out if there was a way to get vectorworks to export to the eps file without shifting the colors. I would rather the export just be a one step process rather than the two I have to do now.

2.5 ghz Win. XP Prof. 1gig Ram 128mg Nvida Video

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that an EPS has a color mode attached to it. EPS files in Illustrator are adjustable by either mode in the same color pallet. When opening EPS files in Photoshop it will ask you what format you would like it before it rasterizes.

While opening an eps from vectorworks in either photoshop or illustrator I have kept the vectorworks file open also. The side by side comparison shows different colors. I have opened the images as both CYMK & RGB in photoshop with the same results. I also have had to bring in logos from a graphic design that were eps. I had to change the color mode from CMYK to RGB for the colors to come in properly.

I see. I had thought you were only looking to obtain an rgb file.

The value that VW assigns to it colors is in sync with those of other programs. For example, the blue on row 1 column 5 of the standard pallet is given a value of R:0, G:0, B:65535 (on a 65536 scale). If you create a color in Photoshop with values R:0, G:0, B:255 (closest value on the 256 scale) they appear pretty much identical.

However if you export the R:0, G:0, B:65535 color via eps, Photoshop reads it as R:63, G:64, B:150 -as you say, quite different. Similar variations with HSB.

Exporting as an Image file has no problem.

As long as I can remember this has always been an issue with EPS files, for if you take a color created in Illustrator, rasterize it into Photoshop you will end up with the same type of color variation. Not precisely a VW only problem.

I'm sure some clever person somewhere will or already has a translation solution, I have generally saved the use of eps files for bringing line drawings to other programs.

This may be why EFI controls the color printing algorithms. Normally the printer drivers deal with these issues. As noted by Delmer, Color Space declaration seems to be the issue.

Apple Provides a free 'Digital Color Meter' and with it you can get all the different values for all the different Spaces.

VW v11.5 upgraded the color palette to OSX colorsync specs.

islandmon