SITE MODEL SLOPE ANALYSIS

Hello, still new to Vectorworks, and trying to create a SITE MODEL SLOPE ANALYSIS REPORT from the 3d grid colored slopes. I can't seem to get the area for each slope range. I managed to create on from the 2d colored slopes but I think its not grid based, and I get weird areas. How can I get a report like this one, but based on the 3d grid colored slopes? Or what is it that this preformatted report is counting in the "projected area" and why am I getting such big amounts of square meters?

image.thumb.png.cb534c07c2876ccdf0a36b0bd1ba5d17.png

This is the site I want a report on. I have the colored slope grid, but how can I add the area depending on the color? 

image.thumb.png.8ffd1c249cb498678be2bec4ed508eac.png

My guess is that it is not square meters, but rather square millimeters.

My suggestion would be to draw a very simple site model in a new blank file and try the slope analysis on that. Something that is simple enough that you can manually calculate the area and see if you can  figure out the required conversion factor.

Once you have the database of all of the slopes, you will use the SUMMARIZE function on the Color column to collapse them into a single summarized subrow. Click on the disclosure triangle on the database header row (3, not 3.1, 3.2, etc. If you don't see the header row, go to the worksheet View menu and make sure Database headers is checked.) and check the Summarize Items  check box. You probably also need to check the Sum Values check box to get the total for all of the Summarized subrows.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Looking at this, the report you're using reports on a record called Site Model Slope Analysis. The field that contains the data does seem to store the information in square millimeters regardless of the unit setting of the file. Therefore, to get the value to display cubic meters, it needs to be divided by 1000000, like this: =('Site Model Slope Analysis'.'Projected Area')/1000000 

I am now going to look closer at the data and see if it updates depending on the style you've chosen... I'll report back!

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 4:01 AM, Tamsin Slatter said:

Looking at this, the report you're using reports on a record called Site Model Slope Analysis. The field that contains the data does seem to store the information in square millimeters regardless of the unit setting of the file. Therefore, to get the value to display cubic meters, it needs to be divided by 1000000, like this: =('Site Model Slope Analysis'.'Projected Area')/1000000 

I am now going to look closer at the data and see if it updates depending on the style you've chosen... I'll report back!

Any verdict?

• 1 year later...

Could someone tell me why my slope worksheet has no colors?  I just dragged the preformatted 'Site Slope Analysis' worksheet onto my drawing and it doesn't seem to be working.  Do I need to edit the worksheet (shown below).  Can't seem to find any specifics on using this worksheet.  Please direct me to them if they exist.

Thanks in advance.

Slope analysis no colors.png

• 4 months later...
On 5/1/2019 at 9:01 PM, Tamsin Slatter said:

Hi Tamsin,        Did you ever get to the bottom of this bug? Some of us 2018 users are looking at this issue. No news from users of subsequent versions. It would be highly useful if this tool worked. It's graphical and 3D output is reliable, the reporting side not fit for purpose. Are you able to tell us of any progress?

• Like 1

@Tamsin Slatter or anyone - Is there a tutorial on the slope analysis report?  It's unclear to me how some features of this report should function.  Some immediate questions:

1. If the OIP 2d display is set to show Exist and Proposed should the report populate both? Or is the report purposly limited to show only one or the other.
  2. How does one populate the Surface Area columns?
  3. A whine - - - Values in the report update by performing a little dance: Update the DTM, Recalc the worksheet (open a dialog), and even sometimes need to click in/out/in of the relevant column headers, and maybe update the DTM again.  Or maybe do the whole dance twice.  This little dance is super maddening!

Thanks!

-B

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 11:03 AM, Lisar said:

Could someone tell me why my slope worksheet has no colors?  I just dragged the preformatted 'Site Slope Analysis' worksheet onto my drawing and it doesn't seem to be working.  Do I need to edit the worksheet (shown below).  Can't seem to find any specifics on using this worksheet.  Please direct me to them if they exist.

Thanks in advance.

Slope analysis no colors.png

I had this same issue trying to get the report to show the colour fills of the slope. 

What worked for me is making sure there is a fill on the site model object - just white will do. Once I did that, the report worked. 

Spent an hour only to discover the simple solution.

Welcome to the Forum @Darren Hoekstra!

Did you make all the columns populate?

Here are some basics from my tests for anyone following along:

1. Verify that Site Model (DTM) has a color fill, as noted by @Darren Hoekstra
  2. Assign colors to the slope ranges on the DTM - Select the DTM, Click the Settings button in OIP, at bottom left click the Graphics Properties, near top of this dialog click Site Analysis.  In this dialog, assign slope ranges and colors. Exit the dialogs.
  3. With Site Model selected, Click open the 2d and 3d Style menus and choose one of the colored slope options in each. Style menus are near top of OIP.
  4. Update the Site Model after each change.
  5. If worksheet exists, Recalc the worksheet. It should populate according to the DTM exist/proposed status.
  6. Or create new worksheet via Tools>Reports>Preconfigured Reports>Site Slope Analysis

Notes/issues:

1. The worksheet reports areas in sq mm, not drawing units.  If needed, paste a conversion factor in column heading, such as:
  2. ='Site Model Slope Analysis'.'Projected Area'/92903.04 to report Sq Ft.  Click the green checkmark to accept the conversion factor. 
  3. The worksheet seems to populate only the projected areas (plan projection). Let us know if you get the actual 3d sloped surface areas!  Otherwise, some math is needed for the surface areas.
  4. The worksheet seems to populate either the exist OR the proposed portions, but not both at once.  To control this, select the Site Model and toggle the 2d status, eg from Existing to Proposed. Each toggle, update the Site and Recalc the worksheet.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Notation station
  • Like 1