How to draw a true ellipse

I know this has been talked about to GREAT lengths, but whats the solution?  Has someone written a PIO that draws a true ellipse?  ...

I'm designing a fairly large production that revolves around a large elliptical stage with a lot of other custom elliptical pieces and would like them to be true.  Looking for some direction from those who live in the forum.  I've wasted a bunch of time reading past post that don't seem to come to a resolution.  Any final words on this issue?

Thanks for the help,

Dave

True. The oval of VW is an ellipse. An ellipse can be made by taking a circle and scaling it in one direction. (to check individual points on that ellipse you can convert the circle to a Polygon and check if the points lie on the ellipse (oval). They do.)

Back in the MiniCad days the offset of the oval was a polygon (good) and later a polyline (nicer but less precise). But at some moment in time VW decided to let the offset of an ellipse be an ellipse again and this is not true. This is easily check by drawing dimensions between the first oval and its offset.

Edited by Gerard Jonker
  • Like 2