3-d orientation

it seems that several objects in my models are rotating themselves 90 degrees on the x-axis. everytime i open the drawings there are specific objects (tapered extrudes) lying flat in space. i've tried turning them into symbols and groups but they always change. this only began to happen w/ 11.5 and i'm getting tired of using rotate 3-d command for each object.

is this happening to anyone else?

I've noticed that situation as well. My problem piece that kept re-orienting itself between file closures and openings was an extrude along path object. I tried to convert it to a generic solid and it wouldn't go. Once I converted the object to a mesh it's been staying put. At one point I reoriented a working plane to work on the offending piece. That might have something to do with it.

?

Working Planes may be the answer here. Symbols built on the working plane are supposed to stay there..otherwise there would be total chaos in the world as we know it. The Milky Way Galaxy is built on a unique working plane and stays put even though the Universe keeps expanding !

I think this may be a bug that has appeared in VW11.5. I have also noticed it with an extrude along path object. I this instance it was the frame for a mirror in an interior i had created. The whole mirror was formed as a group and copied a number of times. When I reopen the file after some time the frame is rotated 90deg from vertical to horizontal. I rotate it back and recopy to correct position. When I reopen the frame is rotated again. I dismissed it as a local anomally until this post. NNA - Paul Pharr has a copy of the file in question. I sent it to him to help with speed issues in the PC version of 11.5

• 1 month later...

I'm having problems with this issue as well. Extrude along path objects are orienting themselves perpendicular to where they were saved. Am not enjoying having to re-orient them after I bring the file. up.

Katie? Bipplan? Paul?

For what it's worth, I'm using 11.5 with the latest patch with Win 2000 OS.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Can someone send me a file that exhibits this behavior - preferrably before everything goes south. E-mail the file to Katie at tech support and she can forward us the mail.

--Biplab

Could it be corollary of this recent extrude experience.

I tried to extrude an I beam along an arc path whilst in a Front View. The extude happened but in a Top/Plan View so that the beam was lying on its side on the horizontal plane. I then had to rotate it through 90 degrees to get its orientation correct (ie. stand it up).

Perhaps this extrude along path only in Top/Plan View protocol is being retrospectively applied to older (ie pre 11.5) objects and hence causing your problems.

• 4 weeks later...

i may have a solution to this problem; on your design layer and prior to 'save/ closing' the document 'select all' and 'lock'. next time you open the document it should be the way you saved it. it's working for me let me know if it works for anybody else.