Using layer links on a landscape plan?

Hi,

I am desperately trying to find a way for me to layout a drawing using the AutoCAD "model space" concept. I want to be able to lay out a plan for a residence I am designing (at a scale of say 1"=50') that is far too large to fit on one sheet anywhere near a desirable scale (at a scale of say 1"=10' or 1"=20'). I can?t get the layer link command to work at all, with what I am trying to do. It only wants to link the house layout (which was created with the wall tool). Why won?t it link other lines and such? I have some scans in it of some of my freehand drawing and it totally ignores those as well. I have read and re-read the layer link description in the manual, and am just wanting someone to explain to me just what I can and can't do with a layer link before I waste more time. Thanks!

Allan, unless I'm mistaken, only 3d objects will show up in a linked layer.

You could extrude all of your 2d objects (using a small number for the "z" value), then they would be visible in your link.

Another way (and I think this is closer to the intent of the programers) is to use only 3d objects (eg: site model, plants, roads, curbs, walls, roofs, etc) in your drawing.

Peter

I guess that would explain it. I don't think that is clear in the manual. Then again, I don't know where I was in the manual - I just searched for "layer link" and for all I know I was in a section regarding 3D! Its official then, I will give up playing with layer links. I really wish there was some sort of viewport funcionality in VW. Oh well. Thanks for your help.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

When you create the layer link, make sure the "Project 2D Objects" checkbox is checked at the bottom of the Create Layer Link dialog, and then 2D information will be created in the layer link.

If you forget, there is a checkbox in the OI palette that allows you to enable projection of 2-D objects. You will need to unlock the layer link first.

Thanks for your ideas. I have to recant on my statement about the manual not being clear. It clearly states "click the project 2D objects to display any 2D objects in the linked layer". I just never read all the way to step 4 :-). I just jumped once I knew how to find the dialog box and basic settings! Projecting the 2D objects seems to work good - it even shows my imported scans! I'll continue designing the plan and try again later - if for some reason it doesn't work, I'll just do my copy-paste-mask like I've done before.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still following this thread, I do have one more question! I was able to use a layer link to make my own "virtual" viewport of a landscape design, but now am learning that I must move the origial to be able to center the parts I want to "blow-up" on the linked layer. So, I assume I cannot move the objects on the layer link at all. Am I right? Or is there a way?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The technique for using layer links is this:

1. Create a new layer at the scale you want to display;

2. Create on this layer layer links to the layers containing the information you want to display;

3. Using white filled polygons, "block out" the areas you don't want to see. (This is usually referred to as "masking");

4. Send the layer to the rear of the layer stacking order.