VW and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger?

Hello.

It seems that Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is almost out, and I'm interested in upgrading my Mac. I want to know if VectorWorks has been tested with 10.4, and if there are any issues with the upgrade. I don't want to backup, install and find that VW doesn't run. I understand that Quicktime will be upgraded to version 7, and VW relies on Quicktime heavily, or am I wrong?

Thank you.

[ 03-30-2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Hugo ]

I believe the application needs to be written for 64 bit in order to take true full advantage, however Apple indicates that even 32 bit programs will benefit having the operating system working in synergy with the processors.

Now there are supposed to be some huge improvements with the graphics engine and OpenGL of OS 10.4 as many have complained (including myself) about the speed of selecing multiple objects/polygons. I have an old PC that selects polygons faster than my Dual G5!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes Christiaan some form of statement or indication from NNA would be good especially as many other companies have put comments forward. Maybe after the problems some experienced with the 11.5 they are being cautious.

On the other hand the lack of statement could be viewed that they don't bring the speed results etc. hinted at in other threads. After all as its well on its way NNA will have either the latest build or pretty close to it to know.

Here's hoping it provides the speed boost you Mac users are looking for to bring it up to Windows users speeds.

I'd like to know that when it comes to hardware and software upgrade time I can consider both options. At the moment, despite using both in the past I'm on Windows at the moment and won't consider changing until I know its on an equal footing.

Good news soon I hope.

Alan

[ 04-21-2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

I can't see any reason why VW would be faster under Tiger; there's been no hint from NNA that they've been working on any optimisation in this regard (that I know of). I would be surprised if there were compatibility issues though.

P.S. is there a speed difference between the Windows and Mac versions of VW? My experience has been positively zippy.

[ 04-21-2005, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: Christiaan ]

quote:

Originally posted by Christiaan:

The non-disclosure agreement doesn't stop anyone from commenting on the compatibility of other software on Tiger does it?

Or the magazines hitting the newstands listing and featuring all the new bits and changes !!

A "it works very well" or "our product shows to be fully compatable with Apples release of Tiger" is hardly a breaking of disclosure agreements is it.

Also this is not a comment on a future release of VW as Kevin states, VW11.5 is here and now. Its the OS that's different not Vectorworks.

The brave ones who load it day one will let us know in the forum no doubt, only seven days to go then.

[ 04-22-2005, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

In 1990 with the debut of the PPC RISC processor Apple provide both the 68000&PPC6100 chips on the motherboard to avoid compatibility issues. Ever since that 'bold' transition Apple has placed maximum emphasis on backwards compatibilities within the OS ( Fat binary apps ). For example VW11.5 still uses many of the 'legacy' API ( as indicated by the 'old watch' icon and and not the OSX spinning PinWheel).

There's no doubt in my mind that Tiger will provide 'major' benefits for both the G5 processors and 64bit aware apps.

Typically the vast majority of VW Users will remain un-affected until NNA recodes the entire app. to the required API & compiler standards, and this will depend on Longhorn development. Until that time arrives OSX will continue to run multiple API's simultaneously with virtually no requirements for user participation in the process.

I would guess that NNA will follow the 90/10 rule. They could code the most cpu intensive operations to take advantage of 64 bit, changing a small percentage of VW code and get some major improvements in overall speed. These are improvements that will make us G4 users lust for G5's.

You can also count on many of the system operations to take much less time on the G5's using 64 bit processing.

The hardware always out runs the software by a year or so.

quote:

Originally posted by islandmon:

In 1990 with the debut of the PPC RISC processor Apple provide both the 68000&PPC6100 chips on the motherboard to avoid compatibility issues. Ever since that 'bold' transition Apple has placed maximum emphasis on backwards compatibilities within the OS ( Fat binary apps ). For example VW11.5 still uses many of the 'legacy' API ( as indicated by the 'old watch' icon and and not the OSX spinning PinWheel).

There's no doubt in my mind that Tiger will provide 'major' benefits for both the G5 processors and 64bit aware apps.

Typically the vast majority of VW Users will remain un-affected until NNA recodes the entire app. to the required API & compiler standards, and this will depend on Longhorn development. Until that time arrives OSX will continue to run multiple API's simultaneously with virtually no requirements for user participation in the process.

it wasn't 1990 and there was no machine with both processors on the mother board. Many applications were available as "fat" code, they shipped and installed with both 68000 and PPC code and the computer decided which to run.

from lowendmac.com,

"The 6100/60 was the entry-level Power Mac when Apple introduced the line in March 1994. Built into the Quadra 610 case, the 6100 contains a PDS which can be converted to a NuBus slot with an adapter. To save money, the 6100 uses RAM for video (up to 615 KB, depending on resolution and bit-depth), not separate VRAM. Thus, one way to improve performance is to add a video card, either Apple AV card or a third-party one. (This also makes it possible to run two monitors.) Another is to add a 1 MB level 2 cache, as noted on our benchmark page. More details at PowerMac 6100 Graphics Performance."

[ 04-25-2005, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: wv_vectorworker ]