scroll wheel resolution, very jumpy

Hi, I am trying to find a way to tame the scroll wheel. I cannot find any keystroke commands or settings to change the resolution of the scroll wheel function. I thought it was an issue with the hardware, but have tried several mice and trackwheels to no avail. I also tried USB overdrive, and have had no luck finding anything to get the movements adjusted to where I can move within my drawing without overshooting. The scroll movements seem to be unsettable. Am I missing something here, or is that just basically an unusable, but highly important function?

Thanks for any help, please.

Alex

I guess I should restate that it is not unsettable, it seems that even at the lowest setting for the scroll wheel on any mouse I get a half page or so of movement for each click on the scroll wheel. I cannot get any less than this. If anyone can get less than this I would like to know how, please. My hand is getting tense as I try to move in the smallest of increments and I cannot and find I am constantly trying to hone in on the area I would like to work on and cannot easily. So much of Vectorworks is a joy to work with, and this is about on the other end of the spectrum. I have read several other post regarding this issue, so maybe its something that can be fixed as others have noted it.

thanks for the suggestions.

alex

quote:

Originally posted by alexd:

I guess I should restate that it is not unsettable, it seems that even at the lowest setting for the scroll wheel on any mouse I get a half page or so of movement for each click on the scroll wheel. I cannot get any less than this. If anyone can get less than this I would like to know how, please.

alex

Hi Alex,

I'm not sure if you're using a PC or a Mac but...

For my Mac I have a Logitech Trackman cordless optical trackball. I found that for all uses I needed to dial down the gain on the scroll wheel to its min. and wished it would go lower. That said, I just counted and it takes 35 clicks of my scroll wheel to vertically traverse my Vectorworks work space (@ 1024x768) and when a dustball put the wheel out of commission a few days ago I felt completely hamstrung without it. I use it a lot for dynamic zooming as well as panning.

However, at work I have a Kensington Expert Mouse, which is a track ball with a scroll "ring." The ring was a little strange at first but it seems very natural now. The Kensington has much finer gain control for scrolling (and everything else for that matter). Dialing it all the way down is almost too slow in VW. The seting is definitely too low for my other apps. fortunately the Kensington software provides for individual application settings (for button functions as well as ring). So if I don't like how the mouse works in a program, I just create a settings entry for it and everytime I use that app the software loads the appropriate settings. This is nice for changing the button and combo functions for different apps too. The Kensington is also "ambidextrous," if that matters, while the form of the Trackman precludes effective left hand usage.

Just my experience.

Hi Alex,

I only ever use the pan tool - it works faster than scrolling and you can move on both axes at the same time.

I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer with VW having its own preferences. I have the wheel button set to be a space left button a mouse click and right an "x". To pan I merely hold wheel and left buttons down at the same time. To select selection tool press right button. I also have the other two buttons set to "c" and "v" to give zoom in and out.This has worked brilliantly for me for years!