Can't create a solid from NURBS

Josh Hancock

Question

8 answers to this question

@Kevin McAllister has it right.  The end caps are 3d polygons.

@Josh Hancock   I see that your object is a long ways from the Drawing Origin which is sometimes a problem. To test, I created a new layer and pasted a copy of the object at 000 and worked with it there.

Not sure of your starting geometry, but I made it work by extracting all 4 top edges and  all 4 bottom edges, composing them, making their directions the same, then Loft No Rail with Create Solid option.

LoftSolid.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

I see that your object is a long ways from the Drawing Origin which is sometimes a problem. To test, I created a new layer and pasted a copy of the object at 000 and worked with it there.

Not sure of your starting geometry, but I made it work by extracting all 4 top edges and  all 4 bottom edges, composing them, making their directions the same, then Loft No Rail with Create Solid option.

Good catch with the origin. I tried the same method in place in the original file and couldn't get it to work. You solved the mystery.

Kevin

@Kevin McAllister one mystery solved (we think) , but another emerges for me. What is consensus about objects far from origin? Sometimes we need to locate things at great distance and be able to somehow work on them, eg if georeferenced or to accommodate positions in other software or for other reasons. 

Move the User Origin? I think this has its own problems and consequences which I can never remember, so I have not explored.  Also, if this is viable where exactly does one place the  User Origin ?

Move things to drawing Internal Origin? But then move them again to previous locations?

Some form of referencing via multiple files or design layer view ports? Eg place a guide object (3d locus at some corner point?), move all the geometry to another layer at drawing Origin, then snap a design layer view port to the guide object?

But if something like this is recommended, then what part(s) do I port out to the other software?

Other methods?

-B

@Kevin McAllister one mystery solved (we think) , but another emerges for me. What is consensus about objects far from origin? Sometimes we need to locate things at great distance and be able to somehow work on them, eg if georeferenced or to accommodate positions in other software or for other reasons. 

Move the User Origin? I think this has its own problems and consequences which I can never remember, so I have not explored.  Also, if this is viable where exactly does one place the  User Origin ?

Personally I would never move the user origin. I like the user origin and the internal origin to be the same. Its probably fine to do in newer versions of Vectorworks but in the past it could cause problems.

Move things to drawing Internal Origin? But then move them again to previous locations?

Work in symbols? That would be a way to always edit objects near the origin, albeit the symbol origin. I tend to work this way but editing within symbols has been problematic in recent versions (seems better in VW2019 SP3.1). Sometimes with problem objects I will paste into a clean file, do my edits and then cut/paste back into my working file.

Kevin

• Like 1