ericjhberg

Group Inside Symbol - Automatically Ungroups after Exiting Symbol Edit Mode

Question

Posted (edited)

I am trying to group together several similar items (each in a different class) into one group inside of a symbol. This group is intended to be in a parent class that would then control the visibility of the entire group.

However, after grouping the items in the symbol and placing it the desired class, when I exit the symbol, the items come un-grouped.

When I reenter the symbol edit, sure enough, they are all ungrouped.

Any ideas?

Edited by ericjhberg
incorrect statement...

4 answers to this question

No Idea.

Try taking the symbol into a new blank file and see if you can create the group there.

I just did a quick test (on a much simpler symbol) and I was able to create new objects and group them in a symbol even with different classes for the objects and group.

I remember having this issue in the past, and I assume it's a bug. I can't remember the exact logic, but it was something along the lines of Vectorworks not liking it when I grouped symbols along with other types of objects which were all within a larger symbol. Are some of the objects you're trying to group nested symbols?

Or perhaps it was that some of my nested symbols were 2D/3D and some were 3D-only. I can't remember, but it definitely had to do with nested symbols in my case.

@Andy Broomell Yes, I am trying to group nested symbols with basic geometry inside the symbol, so that probably explains it.

I guess for this particular issue, I don't have to put the symbols in the same group, but it does sound like a bug. Hopefully it gets fixed...some day.