Find & Replace Text tool request

Dubman

Question

The Find & Replace Text Tool works great except when I am trying to find all occurrences of the word "AS". The Find & Replace Tool is finding every word with "AS" in the spelling of the word, like BASE. There needs to be a selection to find the exact spelling or single word, not every word that has these two letters in it.  

6 answers to this question

I'll try that, Thanks Zoomer. I us AS in a lot of notes so construction knows what type of material to use for a fake finish, as in AS METAL JAMB. I have it listed everywhere on a drawing & now it changed to real metal. So I have changed all that I can find but it would be nice to double check with this tool, but it keeps going the the word BASE. I've never had this happen before.

I just tried it on VW2019 SP3 on Mac and it does find only the whole word.

I put in a text box all lower case and did a Find/Replace of "as" to "AS" and got the following back.

AS I was walking I assummed

that you would follow me to madras

It could be a windows thing.

I would recommend something like @zoomer suggested and do a search for "as ", " as", or " as ".  You may need to do multiple to find options at the beginning or end of sentences.

Help System doesn't show much about options for "Find and Replace" Text.

But there is some documentation about Search Options in "Resource Manager".

Maybe one or other option also applies to F+R :

Vectorworks recognizes Boolean search operators “” (quotation marks), * (search for strings that begin with the characters indicated), AND, NOT, and OR. Boolean operators can be combined, such as combining two strings inside quotation marks with the word OR, to create precise searches.

The search operators AND, NOT, and OR are case sensitive; they must be entered in all capital letters to function correctly.

The search box retains and displays the last 10 searches; to clear this list, scroll to the bottom of the list and click Clear Recent Searches.

Search Example

Possible Results

green chair (no quotation marks)

Results with the search terms green and chair anywhere in the resource name, tags, and optionally record are returned

●        green chair

●        chair with green stripes

●        green hatch with the word chair in the tag

“green chair” (quotation marks)

Results with the exact string inside the quotation marks, the word green immediately followed by the word chair, are returned

●        green chair

green c*

Results with the search term green and any term that begins with the letter c are returned

●        green chair

●        green couch

●        car with green in the tag

“green c”*

Results with the word green immediately followed by a word that beings with the letter c are returned

●        green chair

●        green couch

●        green car

“green c*”

Results with the exact string inside the quotation marks, the word green immediately followed by the letter c and * (an asterisk), are returned; inside the quotation marks, an asterisk not does behave as a Boolean operator but merely as an asterisk

●        green c*

green AND chair

AND searches are the default, so the command is not necessary for basic searches; this search returns the same results as searching for green chair.

●        green chair

●        green hatch with the word chair in the tag

However, AND can be used with other operators to craft a specific search.

“green chair” AND table

Results with the exact string inside the quotation marks, the word green immediately followed by the word chair, AND the word table are returned

●        green chair with table in the tag

●        combination symbol named “green chair and side table”

green NOT chair

Results that contain the first term but do not contain the excluded term are returned

●        green couch

●        green car

green OR chair

Results with at least one of the search terms are returned

●        green chair

●        green couch

●        red chair

Enter a search string and optionally one or more basic Boolean search operators in the search box and press Enter to execute the search. The search locates the string in resource names, tags, and (if Include Records is selected in the search options) records attached to resources.

Resources that match the search display in the resource viewer pane. Standard context menu commands are available for the resources, or you can drag the resource to another file if desired. Two additional features are available for search results:

●        Hold the cursor over a resource to display a tooltip that shows the resource’s name and location.

●        Right-click on a resource, and select Select Resource Location from the context menu to select the file that contains the resource in the file browser pane.

• Like 2

Thanks to you guys, I got it working. You helped me pass a brain fart. Instead of searching for the word AS, I should have searched for AS METAL, because I also have AS CONC. & AS MASONRY BLOCK. I entered AS with a space afterwords & it found AS CONC. not a word with the letters AS in it. So I searched for AS METAL & found out I got all of them.

Thanks again!

• Like 1