JMR

Are renders saved as image files, in some temp directory?

Hi all,

A question about rendering please. Test renders that are done while working, create a handy chronological document about the design development.

When I render some view, is it saved automatically somewhere, from where it could be retrieved later?

• Like 1

Would be nice.

I bought a comfortable Screenshot App for Mac and got used to save these from time to time,

as a workaround for VW. (Didn't find a similar App for Windows and Linux so far though)

10 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I bought a comfortable Screenshot App for Mac and got used to save these from time to time

Cmd+shift+4 would have saved you some money…

Posted (edited)

The priority is on Comfort.

- I have a Menu Bar Entry

- I can set Project Templates with individual :

a) File Type

b) File Path

c) Auto Naming with pre- and suffixes (Time, Date, File Size, Resolution)

d) Marquee/Window/Screen/Timer/ ... option

e) Auto Open in Preview, or not

f) Auto Add to Clipboard, or not

g) Assign Shortcut

As I set it up for current Project and general usage for me it works by

- Click to open from Menu Bar

- Click to choose Project Preset

- Click Drag Marquee

Bing Bang Boom and I have a Screenshot in proper format and naming

in my Project's Image Folder.

That Mac App is called Screenshot Plus.

(Alternatives for Windows and Linux, being able to do a)-d) are very welcome)

Edited by zoomer

Alas Screenshot Plus is not available in the US App Store. Go figure. 😢

• Sad 1

RGyori,

My iMac has the same specs as yours. I just installed Snagit for screen capture. It is $49 but is totally worth it. It captures high-res images and videos right from a crop on the 27" screen, especially when you have all the OpenGL settings cranked up. No need for presentation mode with the crop. Then you can quickly crop, adjust, annotate, etc., and email out right from Snagit.

• Like 1

It saves screen captures as a proprietary .snagitproj file which you can then export at Retina image size in several formats.

I am finding that I am using Snagit more and more. Instead of slowly scrolling through a giant pdf set in Bluebeam Studio, I grab a screen shot. Snagit stores the image in a library sorted by application, date/time, image, type. Pretty cool.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CollaborativeMT said:

Instead of slowly scrolling through a giant pdf set in Bluebeam Studio, I grab a screen sho

Great idea !

BTW

I export Images from PDFs, to have faster Underlays for modeling.

Edited by zoomer

As to Windows users, it seems Windows 10 snipping tool is being updated, the new version automatically gives a chronological file name and remembers the last directory .

Still, automatic saving by the core VW program, to some subdir by project would be great...Maxwell has this feature and it's very handy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here is a script that exports images directly and lossless. Take the script at the bottom of the thread. The pictures get a date stamp automatically.  With it you can easily create a chronology of renderings. However, you have to ungroup a copy of the viewport to get an image before running the script.

export image file

Edited by herbieherb

I typically keep a project folder dedicated for renderings, just to keep a record. Typically a screenshot is enough. Here is a sample of the before, during and after. 

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

final.png

• Like 3