Create symbol as image prop? Or symbol always face camera

nickdiacre

Question

Hi guys,

I have a number of symbols. including exit signs, electrical connectors, labels etc...

I was hoping that on my different sheet views I could ensure these symbols and labels always faced the cameras... That is if I zoom in and rotate the viewport all these symbols/labels are also rotated... Is there a method/approach to make them always face the camera? I have looked into image props, but they ony seem to work with PNG files, rather than symbols.

Many thanks

Nick

2 answers to this question

Guest Alex Sagatov

It seems you have the general right idea here. Lets confirm:

Image props can rotate towards whatever direction you are looking. If you go to Model > Create Image Prop, you will select the image you want (your exit sign as an example):

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 3.00.23 PM.png

After clicking OK, if you go to your Resource Manager, you will find the newly created image prop as a Red Symbol. Red means that it will place as a plug-in objects (image prop in this case) as opposed to a symbol. If you right click on the symbol and choose Edit Symbol Options, uncheck this button:

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 3.00.35 PM.png

This will allow you to place your image prop as a 3D symbol. In the Object Info Palette, it will say it is a 3D symbol, but it will basically function just as an image prop.

Thinking about your situation, I have a feeling this might cause some odd results in your renderings. Off the top of my head, I would probably keep the exit sign as a standard 2D/3D symbol with standard geometry. Then, if I needed it to "face" me in my rendering, I would probably place a standard image over top in the annotations of the rendered viewport. Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions!