Odd Clip/Intersect Surface Behavior

Hi There:

Has behavior regarding Clip and Intersect Surface changed in 2019?  I'm trying to do something that's giving me weird results.

I'm trying to draw something that's cosmetically shown in the first image (Clip0.jpg).Clip0.JPG

I have arcs across the space that I want circumscribed by three larger polygons, and not existing in between or outside of those polygons.  Ordinarily I would draw the arcs and the three border polygons (Clip1.jpg). 

Clip1.JPG

Then, I'd draw some dummy rectangles to represent the space I want to "delete" excess arcs from (Clip2.jpg), Clip2.JPG

select those rectangles and the arcs, then Clip Surface, then delete the rectangles (Clip3.jpg).Clip3.JPG

While the result is cosmetically what I'm going for, the action is actually taking those arcs and creating a lot of goofy polygons that are stacked on top of each other.  I've selected a few to illustrate in (Clip4.jpg), but they're all like this, going from 17 objects total to 93.  What I want is 39 arcs.  Clip4.JPG

Intersect surface gives me even weirder results (Clip5.jpg).Clip5.JPG

In any other case I'd be inclined to just shrug and do it the tedious way, drawing each arc individually, but I'm tracing an older drawing, and for some strange reason, Vectorworks refuses to snap to an intersection of anything with an arc.  So the best I can do is eyeball it, which considering this is a CAD drawing makes me feel icky.

What's going on here?  The process works fine with straight lines, so something about the arcs is making VW cranky.  And...I hate to say it...but it worked just fine in VW2018.

Edited by Jackmill1

An arc object is essentially 1 side of a 3-sided closed polyline, so the behaviour you are seeing makes sense although is quite frustrating. For what you want to do, you would be better to use the Trim command in the Modify Menu, which will give you exactly the results you are after.

• Select all the arcs and one of the rectangles.
  • Run the command
  • and select the rectangle to make the cut.

What you will be left with is the rectangle and the arcs trimmed. Just delete the trimmed portions that you don't need.

I don't remember this being possible in earlier versions but I could be mistaken.....

Hope that helps

Edited by markdd
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...