Importing a DWG and memory failure

I've a largish DWG (32 M) file that I need to import into Vectorworks (11.5). Every time I try I get a "one or more operations was aborted due to lack of memory" message, and the file fails to import (although Vectorworks does not crash). I've plenty of horsepower to do this (Dual 2 GHz G5 running OS X10.3.8 with 2 GB memory); any ideas?

A hatch is generally a series of parallel or crossed lines used to fill in an object. A large atlas or map would likely not have too many so that may not be the problem.

One thing you could try is, in the DXF/DWG Import dialogue, at the bottom under Import Options, select Use Custom. Click the button Set Custom Options . . . . In th Primary Settings Tab of the new window that comes up change the 2D/3D Conversion to Convert Objects To: All 2D.

ACAD does not generally use hybrid 2D/3D tools so many essentially 2D items drawn there will attempt to come into VW as 3D, compounding the memory usage during import.

OK - I tried resetting it to All 2d. When that didn't work, I tried every permutation of custom setting I could think of. Still nada.

When I go to import, the progress bar gets through the "Loading file" phase without a hitch, but when it gets to "Converting proxies to groups" it grinds on for minutes, then quits with the error message. Actually 2 error messages: "File could not be imported for unknown reasons" and the out of memory message.

I've just found out they've recently upgraded to AutoCAD 2006 in the mapping shop; could that be it?

You probably don't have a machine with ACAD on it do you? If you could ask the people you got the file from to go into their Xrefs in ACAD and "Bind" any external references there. That could take care of the proxy error which is possibly generating the memory error.

About the font mapping, if you didn't see it then it is likely not a problem. As the import is in progress, if it finds a font it can't use it will give you the option to substitute another. Unless someone else knows another way to tackle that one . . .

Nope, no ACAD here - that's why I have VectorWorks. I'll email them and ask them to bind any external references.

FWIW, here's the import log:

---------------------------

SUMMARY

Total files examined: 1

Total files successfully imported: 0

Total files not imported: 1

Not a DXF or DWG file: 0

Unknown reasons: 1

DXF/DWG Import Started at: 3/30/05 10:44:46 AM

Source Folder: Macintosh HD:Users:wnewber:Documents:CU Atlas:

Destination Folder or File: Macintosh HD:Applications:VectorWorks 11.5:Templates:Untitled 1

DETAILS

FILE RESULT OF IMPORTING

---- -------------------

Cuatlas.dwg FAILURE: Unknown reasons

SUMMARY

Total files examined: 1

Total files successfully imported: 0

Total files not imported: 1

Not a DXF or DWG file: 0

Unknown reasons: 1

RE: Proxy Objects

From AutoCAD help:

"A proxy object is a substitute for a custom object when the ObjectARX application that created the custom object is not available to AutoCAD or other host applications. Later, when the application is available to AutoCAD, the proxy object is replaced by the custom object.

Proxy objects have significantly reduced capabilities compared to their corresponding custom objects. The extent to which proxy objects can be edited is determined by the parent ObjectARX application. For example, operations such as erasing and moving an object, or changing object properties may or may not be possible on a proxy object depending on the application that created it.

When you open a drawing, you might see a Proxy Information dialog box. The dialog box tells you the total number of proxy objects in the drawing (both graphical and nongraphical) and the name of the missing application and provides additional information about the proxy object type and display state. You can use the dialog box to control the display of proxy objects"

Common examples of Proxy Objects (for "Plain" AutoCAD useres) would be receiving a drawing done in one the Vertical AutoCAD products, such as Architiectural Desktop, and have objects in it created by custom programing (i.e. ObjectARX) specific to ADT. The object would normally have certain 'functionality', unique to ADT/ObjectARX application that created it. Regular AutoCAD users can install "Object Enablers" which will allow viewing and some LIMITED editing.

Now, if the problem is indeed AutoCAD proxy objects (is the source drawing from an AutoCAd "vertical Desktop" product??) the originating source can do something (no being a user of such Vertical Application) that, effectivly explodes of reduces such objects (dumbs them doen in otherwords) to basic linework objects/entities

Hope this might help

OldGuy JimL

If you are still having problems, you can ask for a dxf file instrad of a dwg iel. Thios file would be much larger, but seems to import better if there is a problem. I have had that with some files and could never find out why I couldn't import. VW 11.5 seems to have fixed those problems as I can import those same files, but maybe the dixf would help you in this case.

I think that the file was an ACAD version 2006 was the culprit. Though ACAD itself may still import, the new add-ons like AecCivilBase will produce proxy objects that the VW import module doesn't support yet. You would think turning off proxies in the ACAD file and saving would do it, but saving the file as an extremely old version of AutoCAD that does not support proxies seems to be the only work-around.

I really enjoy these 'chicken vs egg' scenarios. One learns so much . Prior to 1990 it was virtually impossible to Import anything from anywhere !

We've come a long way ; > )

Usually I ask for files generated by version -2 in order to avoid similar issues. Regardless of the originating program.

islandmon