Vision 2019 lecos have no barrel rotation

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What cut can you not achieve? Barrel rotation allows you to overcome physical limitations of the fixture caused by the way it is manufactured. (Silly things like structural support and shutters in the same physical plane.) The virtual shutters in Vision and Vectorworks don't have those restrictions so you should be able to get the same cuts without the need for rotating the barrel.

If they had 180 degrees of movement, I wouldn't mind, but the shutters are limited in their angle of movement as in the actual light (minus barrel).

This limits the cut when shooting at an angle to the stage. The show I'm working on right now has a bunch of lecos cut around the stage floor from all kinds of angles and most I was unable to do precisely. And another thing: if the shutter angle had the default position at the middle, that would make focusing much easier.

Can you upload a screenshot of what you are trying to achieve jake?

either rotating the lens tube would be one option or having independently unlimited movements on shutters like the adb warp fixtures.

would be an interesting feature request if you are currently unable to achieve the cuts you want to achieve

Hi Tom

Here's what I'm working with right now. As you can see in the picture, this is the closest I could get to covering the stage floor.
Focusing the actual lights I angle the barrel to the middle of the hardest cut and adjust the other shutters around that. 

Warp 800 system might be somewhat overwhelming for users that aren't familiar with the Warp 800, as it gives too many options.

Another solution would be allowing each shutter to angle 180degrees from original position. While it is unrealistic, it would allow for almost any cut with a simpler interface.

In any case, I'd appreciate if the default angle of these shutters was at middle of rotation range, rather than 0 as is now. Same as with focusing a real leco, it would make my job much easier. Also, the sliders in the software console could be a bit larger to allow for touchscreen operation...

P.S. When sending a file to Vision I noticed that some lecos start with shutters in to middle position or a closed iris. I'm adding a file that I saved before focusing. Note that some shutters are half way in and some irises are closed (channels 3-5 for example).I didn't do that... 

Cheers

Jake

LeelaVIS2.zip

Thanks Jake, I think I will pursue feature requesting lens/barrel rotation. The recommended workflow is to focus instruments in Spotlight First and then export MVR. You can focus in vision but I am worried that focuses may get trashed when you next export MVR. Apologies for the delay.

Best wishes

Tom W