Braceworks Frustration

wkwiat

Hi All,

Looking for some help and direction. I am trying to estimate the weight of a truss grid with decking. Its a 36' (L) x 12' (W) x 12' (H) grid out of Tyler 12" truss. I am stuck at the first layer with the truss connections. I keep getting a warning "Cross section types do not match". I read a few posts about corner blocks and I have tried to use the correct corner blocks for the drawing and not what I am using in actuality, ie 5-way verses 3-way. I have attached a screen shot of where i am at currently....

Truss grid trial_1.png

Edited by wkwiat

wkwiat,

I think the two types of truss you're working with are different. As in, one is the "AV" line and the other is the "Bolt" line. The corners seem to work with the AV line of truss. The workaround is an 11 step process that I've been able to figure out and you'll need to do it three times. One each for each truss object. You'll basically be resetting the cross section to 12" for each item and it should work after that.

It might be easier to change the truss types in future.

I hope this helps.

Note that my workaround is likely not the "correct" way of dealing with this, but it worked. 🙂

Also note that this likely changes what an engineer would need if one is needed. If you want to calculate weight, you'll to add hoists. I know it's ground supported, but Braceworks doesn't understand ground support.

Best, Scott

2019-04-21_21-58-46.png

2019-04-21_22-43-36.png

I did notice in the object info window for each item that the cross section type was different but that they were both "connectable" with each others type. They are all Tyler truss elements. When you say "It might be easier to change the truss types in future." you mean change the manufacture? It is for reference anyway. It is ultimately ground support but we are intending to use hoists to lift for the build. I was making sure the truss was working before adding hoists. I have struggled with braceworks at times and learned to take it in parts.

I also have to "attach" decks to the structure. In real life they will be secured with hardware and straps, but how would get that weight represented correctly? Would the best thing be to add a distributed weight load to the structure?

Thanks for your time Scott and anyone reading!

Wayne

8 hours ago, wkwiat said:

Another thing I have been trying and failing is using grapples?

This is one that you'll fair better by inserting corner blocks for most of your work and then change out for grapples after your calculation needs are done. Straight truss currently do not have a way of having this attached off to the side. Or, placing the side truss under/over the main truss line to make that connection point.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Keep in mind that the Tyler Truss symbols do not have cross section data and are missing some of the weights.  We have tried to get the necessary data from them but have been told they are not willing to release it to us at this time.

• Like 1
On 4/22/2019 at 9:23 AM, JustinVH said:

Keep in mind that the Tyler Truss symbols do not have cross section data and are missing some of the weights.  We have tried to get the necessary data from them but have been told they are not willing to release it to us at this time.

This is extremely frustrating right here.  We are trying to make our industry safer and work easier and a major manufacturer is unwilling to work with others.  Yeah I'm trying to find out the weight of a Tyler Truss 12x18x96" stick and that's frustrating.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I would recommend to contact them and voice your frustration.  Sometimes the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" approach can help to show a manufacturer that they need to be more forthright with their data or risk losing customers to other manufacturers that are sharing weights and structural data.

12 hours ago, theatre4jc said:

This is extremely frustrating right here.  We are trying to make our industry safer and work easier and a major manufacturer is unwilling to work with others.  Yeah I'm trying to find out the weight of a Tyler Truss 12x18x96" stick and that's frustrating.

I called Tyler Truss about a week ago, they sent me the information I requested thru email, promptly.