[HELP] Vision pan, tilt

The fastest way I've found to deal with the occasional searchlights is to make changes in the X,Y,Z settings of the units inside Vision. With the lights lit, make a change to each and when they're pointing in the direction you want, you're set.

The underlying issue is the rotation of the unit within VW. It gets worse if you've done any mirroring of units. Sorry, I don't have time at this moment to delve further at the moment.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@GloriamLT Are your lights focused in Vectorworks or Vision? You say they are focused up in Vision, how are they physically oriented when you look at them in Vision. Are you using stock Vectorworks symbols or custom symbols? Can you post the file?

I tried those fixtures as a quick test.

Everything looks OK. The reason you are seeing the light go to the sky is that the moving lights move to their default location in Vision if there is no DMX signal present. (The light is receiving all 0's) Once you connect to a console with the fixtures patched the console should home the fixtures and the lights should point down.

Conventional fixtures will take their default focus from Vectorworks but moving lights will only react to dmx data.

Vision does not include a lighting console, you need to connect Vision via SACN, ARTNET, etc. to your physical lighting console of an offline version of a lighting console.

You will program on your lighting console and Vision will mimic the behavior of the lights.

If you want a simple software console you can tru QLC+ https://www.qlcplus.org/

It's not something I would use to program a show but it works for simple things.

Hi @GloriamLT 

I'm going to jump in real quick and try to get you pointed in the right direction.

In the real world, a console is how you control lights. There's a bunch out there, so take your pick. I can't teach you how to use any of them, because they're all different and, that's why we have youtube. So the console and the lights need to be patched, this will be covered in most console tutorials. The important part is that the console and light need to have matching patch information. Beyond that, you're going to need to do some research on how all these things work together in the real world.

As for using Vision, you'll build your scene in Vectorworks, and then export it to Vision, assuming you have a license. In your case, since you're using the demo, you can still use the scene you've made but, you'll be limited to 5 lights. Vision acts the same as a real light. So you'll need a console to control the lights in Vision, the same as you would in the real world. Also, just like the real world, the patch information that's in vision for each light needs to match what's in the console. I can see from your picture of the patch window that your patch information isn't exporting correctly. That's why there's a bunch of lines highlighted in red. What you'll need to do to correct that is go into Vectorworks then go to File>Document Settings>Spotlight Preferences and a new window will pop up. Click on the Lighting Device tab if it isn't already selected, and then click the bottom right button labeled, Edit Visualizer Data Mapping. This will give you a new dialog box with a bunch of options. The only ones you really need to worry about are the ones labeled Universe and Channel. This is how you tell Vectorworks and Vision where to find the patch information in Vectorworks. As a guess, judging from the picture of the OIP you posted, you'll want to set Universe to Universe, and Channel to Address. Then send your file to Vision again, which should give the lights the correct patch information.

As for getting the patch information from Vectorworks into the console. In the case of QLC, and most others, there's no way to do that. Patching is usually a manual process. So, once again, google some videos, there's lots.

Also, here's a link to our getting started guide, which may give you some additional insight into how vision works.

https://www.vectorworks.net/training/2019/getting-started-guides/vision/what-is-vision

• Like 1