Exclude objects from section cut plane?

Is it possible to "exclude" certain objects from the cut plane of a section view? I have a live section through a steel member and concrete anchor (drawing 2, below). I'd like it to look like the section on the right, but since the cut plane is centered on the steel tube the fastener is also cut. I thought maybe the "Display Extents before Cut Plane" checkbox in the OIP might do the trick, but so far I haven't figured it out.

I know I can always add the fastener in the Annotations layer, but I'm curious if there's a way to do it all in 3D (so, for example, if the hole location changes I don't need to also readjust the 2D annotation).

I've attached the VW file as well. Thanks for any suggestions!

section.thumb.png.a5b46269bf88e0884ce34a245c150917.png

Section.vwx

Hi tsw.

I don't think there is a simple way to do what you are asking in vw2016 (Your signature says you are using 2016). You could possibly do it with stacked viewports?

In vw 2019 you can display objects that are in front of the cut plane in section viewports. The visibility of the objects is set by class. Also in 2019 2d/3d hybrid symbols can have 2d elevation information as well as 2d plan info so that may be an option too.

I'm not fully immersed in 2019 yet so can't say for sure. You would have to play around with those options a bit as they may still not do exactly what you want.

Maybe someone else has some  better ideas.

Edited by Boh

Oops, my signature was out of date. I am indeed on VW2019.

I was experimenting a bit with the settings to display objects in front of the cut plane. It appears that if an object is cut by the section plane then the rest of the object won't show even when "Display Extents before Cut Plane" is checked, but I may be missing a setting.

I didn't realize hybrid symbols can now have 2D elevations. I'll have to look into that more. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes. Also, objects displayed in horizontal sections have the added ability to have their own cut plane height. This allows it to show cut at a different height from the section cut plane. The 2D Components for Symbols and Plug-ins, and Section Improvement features added to 2019 are significant steps in getting better derived drawings from the model with less need to fix things in the annotations. That said, these features are still young and we plan to continue making improvements and tweaks to them.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, cberg said:

Glad to hear that Development is moving in this direction and plans to make improvements!  Once VW fixes the cased opening glitch, I think this will become even more useful.

Yes. This is a top priority bug and certainly causes problems in getting a useful drawing. Hopefully we'll get this fixed soon.

• 2 years later...
On 4/18/2019 at 6:11 AM, Matt Panzer said:

Did this feature stop working in a recent update? I'm on VW2022 SP3 and noticed today that setting individual objects to display as uncut doesn't seem to change how they are displayed in viewports. Wondering if I'm missing something or if others are also experiencing this.

Thanks!

Test file attached.

Untitled-1.png.bc19c8ad2776bcdfa31ee2ee988cb296.png

test.vwx

17 hours ago, tsw said:

Did this feature stop working in a recent update? I'm on VW2022 SP3 and noticed today that setting individual objects to display as uncut doesn't seem to change how they are displayed in viewports. Wondering if I'm missing something or if others are also experiencing this.

Thanks!

Test file attached.

Untitled-1.png.bc19c8ad2776bcdfa31ee2ee988cb296.png

test.vwx 147.61 kB · 1 download

Unfortunately, something caused the cut plane overrides to stop working in vertical sections (they should still work for horizontal sections).

This is a known bug (VB-183793).  I added a link to your post and I'll see what I can do to push this along.