viewport/sheet layer

1. I realized katie mentioned it's still better to draw in various scales in design layers and "viewported" at the same scale that correspond to the design layers. in that case i don't see the use of being able to change scales of the viewports, and isn't the purpose of annotation viewports so that scales can be change without affecting (drastically) text/dimension?

2. How can I reference titleblock onto sheet layer?

1. Viewports allow the flexibility to change scales to say put a floor plan on a small scale site plan while at the same time allowing a detail of the site plan or floor plan to be shown on the same sheet at a larger scale.

I would assume that Katie was saying to draw your Design layer at a "normal scale" for the item in question. A floor plan would therefore be drawn at 1/4 scale as opposed to 1:1.

2. Make your title block into a symbol and insert onto each Sheet. Do a search on this and you will find much information.

Kevin, I can understand having the title block as a symbol. (We don't do this as the title block has been drawn and locked on a layer in our templates just another way to do it.) But does this mean you have this symbol placed on every sheet? (This could mean 20 or more "big" symbols in a drawing.) If this is the case, why not just place the symbol once, change your sheet visibility so each sheet "sees" your symbol. (Sorry, for using the old term "sheet" but I am slow to change and the term is a better metaphor.)

If this is what you do; never mind.

Jim;

Thanks for your input. I am using VW11.5. I was under the assumption that I had to place the symbol on each Sheet.

However, you got me thinking. Under VW9, I would have a separate Mod Layer that was my title block. It was always made visible in each Saved View that I printed.

I see no reason why this can't be done in VW11 as each viewport has a visiblity menu for Design Layers.

I will give this a try. You may have saved me a lot of work, thank.

Genie, about annotations in viewports, I have the suspicion that this was introduced because some ACAD users put their annotations in paperspace. The only thing there is that they do it as a work-around for the absurd dimension and type styles that scale when the drawing is scaled. In the end the nuisance is approximately equivalent.

In VW its really not necessary since text is not a major hassle and inputting it right on the drawing causes little pain when changing drawing scale (scale text checkbox). If you or anyone else discovers a truly beneficial reason to annotate viewports I would like to hear it.

katie,

i got your info on the VW11 FAQ you posted on the technical support.

"Do I need to set the scale in the design layer or should I always use 1:1 and scale the model in the viewport?

While you can always change the scale of your model in the viewport, we still recommend that you set the scale of your design layer to the most likely printed scale. This will ensure that VectorWorks page based objects like text, dimensions, image fills, and some hatches will display correctly."

2. so the best way is still to reference titleblocks in design layers and viewport it onto the sheet layer?