VW 2018 - "The file save operation failed" when saving to network

sbutler

Question

Hello,

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this issue or provide some assistance. We're running VW 2018 on Macs and when saving to a network location our users are experiencing an error message that states "The file save operation failed". After this message appears, the file disappears from the networked location. The user then has to attempt the save operation about three more times before the file successfully saves. This doesn't occur when saving to a local computer, then copying to the server. It also seems as though users do not encounter this issue if they are working with a .vwxp project file, only a regular .vwx file. Some information about our setup:

VW Version: VW 2018 SP6
Operating System: Mac OS 10.13.6

Server OS: Windows Server 2012

SMB network protocol

Server and user computers on same subnet, in same physical location

All users have correct privileges/permissions

We were previously running VW 2018 SP3 and upgraded to SP6 in hopes that the issue would resolve, but it did not. There do appear to be some issues where Windows is seeing files as open even if they are closed--this is most likely due to the Windows and Mac environment--could this have something to do with it?

I've seen a couple of threads where this was mentioned with 2010 or 2015 versions of VW, but it appears to still be happening. Open to any ideas or suggestions. This is really starting to impact our workflow and I'd be grateful for any advice. Happy to post any more info if needed. Thanks!

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

I guess that this is nothing related to Vectorworks. We have similar strange things that are happening in our network environment. So are user priviliges changing rapidly and randomly while working with the finder. Folders are accessible and minutes later they are not.

This happens under Mac OS Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. 

Talking to our admin... he said that this is a problem of how Apple handles the SMB protocol and user priviliges when connected to a windows server.

So as this problem persists, also Project Sharing does not work for our Apple Computers ´cause they are connected to a storage hosted by a windows server. Tested Vectorworks Versions are 2017 to 2019.

Currently we are thinking about two strategies to solve this.

1 - Kick that windows server and replace it by a linux system in an office with 80 users from 2d/3d department, architects and so on...

2 - installation of Acronis Files Connect on the Windows server

as reported in other forums the Acronis solution seems to work very well and is less work compared to set-up a new server for our whole office.

If we change something in our environment in the next weeks, i can report about it.

Edited by bjoerka
  • Like 1
On 4/13/2019 at 11:08 PM, bjoerka said:

2 - installation of Acronis Files Connect on the Windows server

as reported in other forums the Acronis solution seems to work very well and is less work compared to set-up a new server for our whole office.

Hi,

we have this setup in our office. We changed to it due to problems with smb. But since a while we are facing the same problem as described above. People want to save their file on the server and get a message that the drive is full and cannot be saved there. The culprit is not quite clear, but what happens is that somehow the .lck-files get deleted even when the file is actively open. 😣

4 minutes ago, Nicolas Goutte said:

Have you quota enabled on the SMB share? That may be also a reason for "the drive is full".

Does this work with afp as well, especially when used with acronis files connect? I am no server admin, so my knowledge of these things is a bit shallow 😄

2 minutes ago, elepp said:

Does this work with afp as well, especially when used with acronis files connect? I am no server admin, so my knowledge of these things is a bit shallow 😄

Quota is a way to limit the size of files owned by a single user on a drive. So if the user trying to connect is using more than what he is entitled, he cannot write anything (probably not even a lock file).

Of source, from remote, I can only guess if your are using quotas or not.

This very issue is happening constantly on our network. We have SMB & AFP both enabled as there are massive issues that only MS Office has over the SMB network. So we have to have both on. This only really effects about 20% of our users but is a constant issue. On VW 2019 SP3 &SP4

13 minutes ago, elepp said:

We are also not any further with a solution. Happens regularly but not to all users. We also are not using a quota for our users.

So from April to now, Vectorworks have not done anything about or even acknowledged that it is an issue it seems. Excellent support.

Edited by ptoner

Our local support advised us to use smb, because it's the recommended file protocol from VW Inc. With our setup of AFP via Acronis we are basically alone. No one has experience with that.

We used to use smb, but it was even more probelmatic than afp. The connection to the server was very unstable.

Edited by elepp
  • Like 1

I have been having this issue now for several weeks. Updated last week to 2020 and it did not solve the problem. I get "(failure to attempt to write to file)" in a window 4 times in a row. That is, clicking ok only brings the warning up again four times.

Then a final message box that says:

"An error occurred while saving this file.

This file is now corrupt on disk. Try saving this file to a different location. If you close this file before you successfully save it, it will be completely lost"

I am the only one with the issue in the office. I have no other issues saving to the sharepoint in other software

15 hours ago, angelojoseph said:

"An error occurred while saving this file.

This file is now corrupt on disk. Try saving this file to a different location. If you close this file before you successfully save it, it will be completely lost"

I am the only one with the issue in the office. I have no other issues saving to the sharepoint in other software

Can you outside VW: write a file, rename a file and delete a file with your user account in the same folder?

Upgrade to the latest version of Mojave, OSX 10.14.6 as there is a specific SMB protocol bug fix.

Most of our issues went away after we upgraded the OS and to VW 2019 SP5.3 

Try this!

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209149

Improves file-sharing reliability over SMB.

PS important to note that the server where the files are stored should also be updated to OSX 10.14.6

Edited by ptoner
7 hours ago, ptoner said:

Upgrade to the latest version of Mojave, OSX 10.14.6 as there is a specific SMB protocol bug fix.

Most of our issues went away after we upgraded the OS and to VW 2019 SP5.3 

Try this!

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209149

Improves file-sharing reliability over SMB.

PS important to note that the server where the files are stored should also be updated to OSX 10.14.6

This issue is happening on my PC install