Create Report - Not accurately showing data from the plants I have created

Hello, could anyone help me with the plant reports please in vwx. 2019. I never had any problems with these in my 2017 software. Now however the plant report data does not accurately show the data from my plant records. For example the pricing could be incorrect, or the SKU code or indeed the quantities. Some of my plants are new plants I have created and they are not in the plant catalog - does this matter for creating the reports?

Thank you very much

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Vanessa

Worksheets have some additional functionality that was introduced in 2018, which makes them more flexible. In the past, you would have had to drag the tiny SUM icon onto the column header, and then again onto columns that you didn't want to sum. This was confusing to many users, but did not offer the flexibility that could be required in a report.

If you open your worksheet (double-click), you'll now see there is a small arrow at the top of each column, on the database header row (the row which contains the instructions on how to select data for the report, and which pieces of data you would like to display in each column). Click on the arrow and you'll see a number of options, including the ability to sort the data, summarise the values (which you might also think of as grouping), and sum the values (add them together). You can read about this in Vectorworks Help here:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/eng/index.htm#t=VW2019_Guide%2FWorksheets%2FDisplaying_Object_Properties_in_a_Database_Column.htm&rhsearch=worksheet&rhsyns=

So, in the case of a Plant report, you might want to group together plants by Latin name. Imagine you have many groups of Buxus sempervirens on your plant, but you don't want a separate row for each group. You want all the Buxus sempervirens listed on one row. 

However, for the price, you then might want to total the price for all the Buxus (in which case you might choose sum values), or you might want to list the price of one Buxus sempervirens, in which case you would choose summarise items. If you create your own report from scratch, you will need to choose the appropriate options for your report. However, Vectorworks does include many preformatted Plant reports in which these options are already set, so you could use those as a starting point for building your own.

Once you have set up the report as you want it, it can simple live in your template and then be applied to any drawing, so you don't need to recreate it for each project.

I've made a small sample file, in which I've used one of the ready-made reports that comes with your Landmark software (Tools > Reports > Create Report and then choose Preformatted reports). I've deleted columns from this to remove data (right clicking on columns and choosing delete) to remove fields that don't illustrate my answer,  but other than that, I have made no changes to this report at all. As you can see, it is grouping all the plants together on one row, because Summarise Items is turned on for the Latin Name. It is also displaying the cost both itemised and totalled. If you double-click the worksheet, and click on the icon at the right of each cell on the database header row , you'll see how this is achieved. You can download my sample file here:

https://cloud.vectorworks.net/links/11e95c38bd15fef4b33b0ed66c18f16a/

Good luck!

• 4 years later...

For the trusses, click on the little down arrow in the database header row in column B + enable 'Summarise Items'. Then all of the items with the same model name will be displayed in a single row with the count column displaying the total number of each. For the stage deck report you probably want to summarise by shape.