domer1322

Help with sloped slab

Question

this should be simple for someone who knows what they're doing .....  I want a 3D model with a special slope for a standard concrete garage slab.  I can model the slope using a DTM, and the result is shown in the attached image.  Since I can't figure out any way to model a 3D solid to show the slope, how can I generate a solid from the DTM with the correct surface slope ?  (I'm open to any technique.  It doesn't have to use a DTM.  Also .. I understand more recent releases of VW have some slope creating features ... but please answer this for a guy like me who has VW 2015.)       I've tried many ways to save the 3D model and convert it into a generic solid, but I just can't find a way that works.  

PS: in the image, don't be alarmed by the contours ... they are set at 1/8" ... it isn't as steep as it looks.

slab slope diagram 2.jpg

5 answers to this question

thanks ... I learned a few tips, but ..... that wasn't what I had in mind.  I'm trying to exactly model a concrete slab that has very slight slopes (for drainage), so the final answer should be a 3D solid shape.  I only mentioned using a DTM because that was the only way I could figure out how to try and model the slab .... although I can't get the final result.   

Dormer, can you please post a 2D image of what you want and also tell us what version of Vw you are using.

I'm using VW 2015.  This is an academic discussion, because I already made the slab in 3D.  However, it was very cumbersome with many steps.  Also, when done, my slab can not be edited.  If you look at the attached image, you'll see my turned down slab (in 'clip cube' view) and notice how the thickness is not uniform, due to the slopes of the surface.  When I used 'screen grab' to make this 2D image, it shows the selection lines, and you can see they indicate the triangles of the different slopes in the surface of the slab.  I figure there must be an easier way to do this using solid modeling instead of the way I did it ... I set elevation 3D loci at corners and elsewhere and drew 3D triangles.  Extruded each individual triangle, then combined them into a solid. Then subtracted the solid from the "unsloped" slab.   This case was simple ... but what if my slab had more complex geometry ?  Also  .... the concrete would not have 'edges' in it between the triangle slopes, as the conc finisher would be pulling his screed to the center point, then sloping toward the end.  

test slab.tiff