Layer Links not updating

I am a new user creating a multi-story building in 3D, using VW 11. I created a layer (called "Linked Layer") that is layer linked to all of my design layers, to view the whole model at once.

The user's manual says that the Linked Layer should update when you add or edit objects on the Design Layers. This isn't working consistently. If I add a 3D object on one of the design layers and view the object using the Linked Layer, the new object doesn't always show up. I'm not sure what's wrong. Any ideas?

Here is my method for working in 3D:

I use the Linked Layer to view the whole building in 3D. Then if I want to edit something, I make the Design Layer I want to edit active, set it to the same view and use the Align Layer Views command to orient all of the other layers.

Sometimes I use the Linked Layer to view the whole building I get a different configuration of objects than if I use the Align Layer Views command. This is another problem.

I have all of my layers set to the Z value of 0'-0" because it is a split level building. It was getting to confusing to know where objects were set in relation to the layer Z values, so setting them all to zero means that I can place all of the objects in my model relative to the same zero plane.

Is this the most efficient way to work in 3D? I find it very slow and time consuming. Does anyone know of any tips that would make the system more efficient?.......

[Roll Eyes]

I use a similar approach with just a couple of differences:

1) I always use the Layer Z-height, preferring it at least in part because the whole layer moves up/down together (I can't forget to relocate one of the roof faces to the new wall height, for example). I sometimes adjust this from the Layers dialog box while viewing the "3D Combined" layer. The links will come in at their appropriate Z-height, so don't adjust them on this layer.

2) If I need to adjust the components of one layer against the fixed portions of another, I'll often place a layer link (leave it locked), make the edits and then delete the link. By having the Z-height set correctly, the link will be located correctly on all three axes. I'll often use Classes to turn "background" stuff grey or off. Sometimes I find it usefull to change an element's line color to something very different so I can see it clearly.

With respect to your missing objects on the Combined Layer: Are you by chance using a Saved View to switch back and forth? And does it have all the necessary Classes active?

Keep at it and good luck,