Joining 3 walls with different styles

Phileas

Good Afternoon,

I'm going to add on to this thread with a more fundamental question:  Is there a VW resource or post somewhere that explains the logic that underlies how VW handles joining walls?

I've been struggling with joining multi-component walls similar to Phileas' post that started this thread.  While I've had some success using the random "let's try clicking this" approach, I'm stumped when it comes to understanding the basic logic behind why some joins work and some don't.  My conclusion is that I've missed something along the way - some key piece of information or critical step that is needed that I'm ignoring/skipping/doing wrong.  I've done the VW tutorials, how-to-videos,  Tips & Tricks, etc and come up empty.  I'd be happy to back up and start over again but I'm lost as to where to start.

Thank you.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, CiaMariaPia said:

Good Afternoon,

I'm going to add on to this thread with a more fundamental question:  Is there a VW resource or post somewhere that explains the logic that underlies how VW handles joining walls?

I've been struggling with joining multi-component walls similar to Phileas' post that started this thread.  While I've had some success using the random "let's try clicking this" approach, I'm stumped when it comes to understanding the basic logic behind why some joins work and some don't.  My conclusion is that I've missed something along the way - some key piece of information or critical step that is needed that I'm ignoring/skipping/doing wrong.  I've done the VW tutorials, how-to-videos,  Tips & Tricks, etc and come up empty.  I'd be happy to back up and start over again but I'm lost as to where to start.

Thank you.

Same here.

Guest Wes Gardner

I can but I do end up with the bit in the red box....I've found that often times you need to take the thing apart, pulling the wall ends back and try again...not always exactly a linear process 🙂

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 8.57.55 AM.png

Joined.vwx

Often I'll get these things to work properly eventually through a trial and error / random attack method. But then I have this sense that my model has these 'unstable corners' that are liable to go wrong as soon as I change anything in their vicinity. Sometimes you'll notice for the first time that they have deconstructed themselves when you update some viewports in readiness for a drawing issue...and of course, having to unexpectedly spend some time trying to fix things again when you want to be getting some drawings out is never welcome.

It's like driving a car where the wheels might decide to detach themselves each time you change gear.

Edited by line-weight
Guest Wes Gardner

@ line weight,

That's going to be a tough one....the lower wall will have to decide whether to join to the vertical or horizontal wall...dunno if it's possible to get the correct representation...it might be that you have to go with two walls for the lower one that are split down the middle???

Wes

16 hours ago, Wes Gardner said:

@ line weight,

That's going to be a tough one....the lower wall will have to decide whether to join to the vertical or horizontal wall...dunno if it's possible to get the correct representation...it might be that you have to go with two walls for the lower one that are split down the middle???

Wes

Yes, not really a satisfactory solution.

Somehow it seems to manage a three way junction when all three walls are the same, so not sure why it can't cope with that situation.

1449947010_ScreenShot2019-04-17at09_20_32.thumb.jpg.5088da232a88f06a87d86a62a4ef16e4.jpg

Nice job! .....but did you learn why whatever you finally did worked and do you think you now have the knowledge to avoid the "trial and error" approach the next time? .... and could you share the secret?   The trial-and-error method is what I've been doing and it's neither predictable nor a particularly efficient way to work so I'm searching for the wall join Grail.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Sorry, I was just too lazy.

Here are the VW 2018 exports.

I was a bit surprised that this common looking simple situation

is much harder than the 2 other previous examples.

Untitled 2 v2019a v2018.vwx

Untitled 2 v2019b v2018.vwx

Untitled 2-2 v2019x v2018.vwx

Cheers.

I see that your solution involved making the 'middle' wall come right to the external wall face, with a capped end.

The only issues in 2d when I opened it were a lineweight thing on that capped end, and an unwanted line in the internal finish corner on the left

241307944_ScreenShot2019-04-19at10_58_25.thumb.jpg.d7b79d7bd2bca89fc928141848a1643a.jpg

But that is fixed by changing the end cap line type in the wall settings, and a component join sorted out the other line.

1216250916_ScreenShot2019-04-19at11_10_51.thumb.jpg.08411f16f0643a4a6b2dded5b19965b6.jpg

Now to see if I can replicate this in my model!

10 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Now to see if I can replicate this in my model!

Yup - the solution is:

Remove all the wall breaks

Extend the 'middle' wall down to the line of the external wall face and cap it

Join each of the other two walls to that middle wall with 'T' joins

Then do 'L' component joins for the white internal finish component.

Thanks @zoomer!

• Like 1