WINDOW - Wall detail issues

drelARCH

Question

Hi,

I have two issues concerning Window/Door object:

1. in Top/plan view wall detail keeps randomly changing from correct one to some weird L-shape. I cant really track what might cause the issue...seems there are few reasons...sometimes I see this happen when I just simply change working device (desktop to laptop and vice versa...) ...see attached print screen of window.

Is this bug that we know about?

2. Hidden component through wall detail settings still visible in 3D...this is present in all openings no matter what wall detail they have in top/plan view

Again, Is this bug that we know about?

Anybody experiencing same issues? Do we know how to solve it...or has somebody come up with workaround...Or just simply BUG..

Snímka obrazovky 2019-04-08 o 10.34.45.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-04-08 o 10.43.29.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-04-08 o 10.43.54.png

7 answers to this question

53 minutes ago, drelARCH said:

2. Hidden component through wall detail settings still visible in 3D...this is present in all openings no matter what wall detail they have in top/plan view

Again, Is this bug that we know about?

That's kind of a bug, might also be "works as designed but not as wanted". It's been known for years but it seems to never have it made far up the wish list at Vectorworks or is so difficult to implement that they are avoiding the issue.

And while I think it's a no brainer for any one who ever thought about windows, to implement it in a way that 2D and 3D correspond with each other, it was never much of an issue for users because the majority was working solely in 2D. For that reason not enough people probably complained about it to make a dent in the prioritization of wishes. (Not that it would be necessary in my opinion, because that is such an obious flaw for a software that is marketed towards architects and interior designers.)

Thanks guys for help,

@elepp ...hm I was afraid that this i the case...that it is simply just not finished setting in entirety. That's really not good that some tools in vw are not completely finished. To be honest I don't understand the reason why vw is bringing some features that are half way finished or better to say unfinished....and we are not talking about some complex stuff...

@Alan Woodwell thanks, your suggestion partially works for me. I have a sheet layer dedicated to present all the wall styles through the worksheet and there is 3D thumbnail for each style showing present components...so my workaround at the moment is publish it with different texture settings

Edited by drelARCH

@drelARCH I'm afraid there are lots of problems with the window and door tools. I give up on using them on any drawings greater than 1:50 or 1:100 scale, and end up either drawing details manually in 2d or directly modelling the window/door in 3d correctly (ie. model it from scratch).

People have been complaining about the window and door tools for ages but nothing has been done about them. Do add your voice to these complaints.

• Like 1

@line-weightthanks for your opinion. I read all the complaints and see myself this unfinished state of features or some not working properly . However recently I've made a decision not be too quick to criticise and first dive deep and properly examine functionality in 3D as well (so far been using vectorworks primarily in 2D environment) and as I go write down all the issues...

In this forum so far I've mentioned only ones that bother me most as I progress through project. After I am finish I want to write report of all the issues I came across and send it here. 

I do love vectorworks especially because I think it is build on very logical a rational foundation but I am first to vote for highest quality in every aspect. At the end I strive for excellence in all of my projects and when I see that some areas of software are kind of falling apart it is so so discouraging and frustrating. I wish for my daily software to able in some way to inspire me for what I am doing. Aesthetic and functional quality of highest standard...

I write more later.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, drelARCH said:

@line-weightthanks for your opinion. I read all the complaints and see myself this unfinished state of features or some not working properly . However recently I've made a decision not be too quick to criticise and first dive deep and properly examine functionality in 3D as well (so far been using vectorworks primarily in 2D environment) and as I go write down all the issues...

In this forum so far I've mentioned only ones that bother me most as I progress through project. After I am finish I want to write report of all the issues I came across and send it here. 

I do love vectorworks especially because I think it is build on very logical a rational foundation but I am first to vote for highest quality in every aspect. At the end I strive for excellence in all of my projects and when I see that some areas of software are kind of falling apart it is so so discouraging and frustrating. I wish for my daily software to able in some way to inspire me for what I am doing. Aesthetic and functional quality of highest standard...

I write more later.

I've gone through a similar process. Until about 2-3 years ago I mainly drew in 2d, but have now transitioned to doing as much in 3d as possible. It has been quite a painful process, especially as I discover all the parts of VW that just don't work properly, but eventually I've settled on a way of doing things that sort-of works for me. And mostly it has been worth it in spite of everything.

It's very frustrating that there are lots of things that should be much easier to do - but they aren't because of VW tools that aren't good enough. Windows are one of the main examples. I have spent many hours drawing windows and rooflights from scratch. I try to set them up so that if there is a change to the design, and I have to alter their size or configuration, then I don't have to start all over again, but changes still take much too long - things that could literally done in a second, with proper, flexible enough parametric objects.

As more people start to work seriously in 3d, I hope that VW manages to keep up and sort these thing out. I also appreciate the logical (and adaptable) foundation it's built on but it seems that over the years it has got buried in a lot of junk.

Good luck with your progress...

• Like 2

VW please fix this wall detail issues!!!

1. correct components in top plan so they stay in place after modification. Even if I repeatedly correct them in plan, they seem to jump back to previous incorrect state when wall element is updated or reconnected or something like that...It seem to me that behaviour is unpredictable

2. correct texture so in 3D view so external finish is visible all around window/door opening right to the frame of window/door

Thanks.

Pavol