Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Adding/Amending records - Simple Questions

Matster

I'm only hours into Marionette, so I am very new, however I I am stuck on a few very simple things (or they should be!)

I want to create a record for new and existing objects with it's height and width in a text or number field, I've got to a point where i'm stuck, currently where i am at, i can attach a record with its size (width or height) included, but I've come to a stand still on how to move forward, so here are my questions;

- I can specify an object by its name, but would like to just select 400 or so objects and apply the Marionette script to the lot how can i do this?

- typically in the UK, we work in mm, but all our set build panels are in feet and inches! so I need to convert the format of the "Get Length" and "Get Width" to feet and inches

- Ideally, I would like the panel size to be as text in one text field, I just cannot work out how to join multiple strings together, so it makes a single string i.e.  "Get Length"&"x"&"Get Width"

I have curves and angled panels i'd like to identify, but for now I just want to work out how to automate the standard rectangles!

thanks in advance!! 😁

• Marionette Maven
4 hours ago, Matster said:

- I can specify an object by its name, but would like to just select 400 or so objects and apply the Marionette script to the lot how can i do this?

You have a few options here , two of which:

1. You could use the Objects by Criteria node to create a set of criteria to define the objects to run the network
  2. You could create a menu command that would run on selected objects (you would still use the Objects by Criteria node in this situation, but you could not run the network directly from the drawing area if it's set to run on selected objects)

5 hours ago, Matster said:

- typically in the UK, we work in mm, but all our set build panels are in feet and inches! so I need to convert the format of the "Get Length" and "Get Width" to feet and inches

You can perform math on these values prior to writing them to the record, we currently don't have a node that will do this automatically for you

5 hours ago, Matster said:

- Ideally, I would like the panel size to be as text in one text field, I just cannot work out how to join multiple strings together, so it makes a single string i.e.  "Get Length"&"x"&"Get Width"

I've attached a file that shows how to use the Concatenate node for this purpose

Hopefully I covered everything 🙂

Please let me know if you have any other questions or get stuck anywhere else, I'm more than happy to help.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Marissa Farrell said:
  • You could use the Objects by Criteria node to create a set of criteria to define the objects to run the network
  • You could create a menu command that would run on selected objects (you would still use the Objects by Criteria node in this situation, but you could not run the network directly from the drawing area if it's set to run on selected objects)

This worked perfectly, thanks for this, I can see a huge amount of use for this node in my ideas!

You can perform math on these values prior to writing them to the record, we currently don't have a node that will do this automatically for you

The math is simple enough, just a little arduous! 

I've attached a file that shows how to use the Concatenate node for this purpose

I couldn't see an attached file 😱 if you could re-attach it that would be great! either way i'll try and work it out, now I have a pointer in the right direction!