importing .dwg in vectorworks 11/ problem solved

nathalievanb

Question

Goodmorning,

i hope someone can help me out. i have a problem with importing a dwg in vectorworks 11. we already converted the file to 2014.

when we imported it, we only see a white canvas. 

if i select all, we can see 15121 objects in the object info. the area is real big 158915722,1sq mm 

as well the measurements.

do we need to scale something? i have tried several but nothing worked. please help with our deadline. thank you very much!!

best Nathalie

Edited by nathalievanb

4 answers to this question

Nathalie

Not sure if you are using VW 11 or VW 2011.  And is the AutoCad file 2014?

Either way, after you select all, try changing the pen color to black.  It's possible that all the lines are white.   AutoCad draws with white and pastel lines on a black background.  Maybe the conversion didn't switch the line colors.

In my experience it's very common to get AutoCad drawings that are nowhere near the origin and cover several square km.  Especially site surveys.  So your scale may be fine.

Hi Michael,

i tried to change the colour, but still nothing... you can see it is working when i change it, but it is too far away.... i don't understand, normally we don't have problems with other cad drawings. this one comes from a new company, so perhaps it's from 2018..

thank you for your response 🙂

Is the scale of the layer containing the imported file the same as the scale of the other layers you are using? (If any).

Did you try importing it to center at the internal origin?

It may be that the drawing is georeferenced and at actual coordinates which could be (hundreds of) kilometers away from internal origin.

Another possibility is that there is a stray object in the DWG file at a really far distance and when you import this you may also get the issue you are having.

Edited by Art V