3d powerpack unfold surface tool

8 hours ago, Michael Carter said:

Can't find any information on unfold surface tool.

Want find out how to unpack a boat hull design into a 2d pattern.

(I am using VW Architect 2019)

thanks

Michael Carter

As a pro boat designer, I doubt that the unfolding in VW will be usable. It's just too limited. I only use VW for basic documentation when doing boat design. 

Here is an example having about 200 parts plus profiles made of high grade stainless steel, and nested for laser cutting. The unfolds also included on surface markings for precise positioning of connecting parts. The fit was 100% right. 

Hull plate example.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I read options are little and limited and that there is dedicated software around, but would it be possible to do this in VW?

I’m still working on that ski tow I posted some time ago – actually my students are… – and was thinking maybe #Marionette has some commands/scripts that will be of any help?

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2019 at 6:07 PM, Wes Gardner said:

I might be mistaken but the unfold command will only work on developable surfaces...

It's true that there are limits to what you can unfold, but the boundaries are quite vague. VW has clearly made progress on this tool from being only usable on very simple shapes to being more average compared to many other programs on the market, having unfolding features. I did some testing on some objects being close to the limits and found that it did a decent job, though failed sometimes, and sometimes generated more errors than I would find acceptable for my personal use. In reality though there are an almost infinite number of solutions on such models, so it is hard to say what is right or wrong. My personal conclusion is that I still trust the results more from my more advanced program, which can do more and allows me to shape panels to be optimized for unfolding, and it also tells me where it goes wrong and what to do about it. In it's context though , I think the current VW unfolding works ok, as I assume that most users will never deal with more complex shapes.