How to display 2 separate polygon boundaries that are on the same coordinates next to each other?

Hi all,

I want to display two polygons, which share a boundary, in my sheet layer. Although the boundary that they share is the same X and Y coordinates along the shared boundary, I would like for the sheet layer to show them directly next to each other when it comes to sheet layer and printing. This way, the m2 of the shapes are accurate, but the display allows you to see the 2 polygons next to each other completely.

The context is that they are 2 landownerships that adjoin, and I want to show the complete polygon shapes for both.

Is this something VW can do?

Thanks

Joe

@halfcouple I haven't tried that no, although it would make the sheet layer a lot more complicated. I assume that it is not possible to do what I am asking then! A shame, as it means I can show two borders next to each other whilst keeping their correct mesaurements.

Unless there is a way of making a gradient fill that fades away from the outline?

I think in the end it's a mathematical problem, if you want to keep the measurements and the locations precise, the vectors of the boraders will always point to the same line. The only way to differentiate the lines is to send them either to front or to back. No chance to show them simultaneously. Something else you could try is to experiment with the double line tool. This tool allows you to draw a second line beside the original line, which could be something like the "inner boarder" that shows up in the viewport but is not in the calculations.

• Like 1

@Jainsworth If two lines/edges are coincident with same style, weight and color, then no way to differentiate.

Here is another workaround:

Hide the coincident edge of one shape.

Draw a new line or poly over the hidden edge with smaller weight or different color/ line type.

In any future edits, make sure the new line is always in Front position (on top).

Edit - If both prop lines need same line weight and color (eg black), then no need to hide any edges. Just add the dashed line and assign a different color, (eg white)

The dashed line can also be converted to a property line with the data labels.

-B

CoincidentEdges.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 1

OK, now I'm not sure what the point is. I'm assuming a single Sheet Layer Viewport is used, and the property line corner/segment data are on the design layer rather than in the viewport annotations.

If using polygons, just show them with the edges coincident, or put a dashed line over the shared boundary, or different color fills or hatches or patterns.

If using Property Line objects just make sure every shared corner point is included on both property boundaries.  Put the labels on inside. A dashed white line can be added over the shared segments if that's graphically helpful.

vwx2019 file attached with the objects.

Or am I missing the goal?

-B

PropEdges.png

PropEdges2019.vwx

• Like 1

@Benson Shaw ,

Your tips are all helpful and thanks very much for the file! I can see what you are doing and especially the remove edge tool I haven't used before.

I've attached an images of what I am basically after.

To add some context. I often work with various landownerships, and some sites have 30+ ownerships of different types, and wildly different shapes, which I represent on drawings using outline polygons which go around the edge of the ownership.

Sometimes, these ownerships sit right alongside the other ones, but sometimes they overlap. You can see by the images that I basically want to 'display' something different to what is actually drawn to help clients etc understand what is going on at the site a little easier.

A possible option I have just thought of with the outlines - I am not sure, but it might be possible to use the gradient fill option to show the edges (seen in image attached 'graded fill option').

Hope this makes it a little clearer!

Thanks again for your tips, and hopefully I am not talking rubbish!

Joe

Design Layer.PNG

Viewport and Printout.PNG

graded fill option.PNG

@Jainsworth 

Not sure how you start the project.  If property boundaries are polygons, make a duplicate set and convert those to Property line objects.  The polygon/polyline set can be used for graphic enhancement behind the PropLine objects.  If you start with PropLine objects, a duplicate set converted to polys would be helpful for graphic enhancement.

Anyway

Too much info for one drawing?

Strategies for multiple sheets?

•Overall site map with all properties in a single VP on a single sheet (or multi sheets with match lines) - this shows the boundaries as platted.

•Then more sheets with separate VPs for individual properties with adjacent neighbors. These can be arranged with space between.

This second stage seems unnecessary, and cumbersome to me, but maybe it's what you need.

And/or a different approach instead of the gradient:

Duplicate the entire array of properties, then Group the duplicate.

Edit the new group, convert/compose as necessary so that all boundaries are closed polys.

Create an interior offset of each property (can do many at one time).

Clip surface and delete the clipping shape, Hide edges, apply a hatch or color fill.

Adjust hatch angle or colors to differentiate shared boundaries.

Exit group, Send to back.

Your gradient scheme could look very nice if gradient added a Follow Edge mode to the Linear, Rectangular, Radial, etc.

Map makers claim that any arrangement of closed shapes can be differentiated with only 3 colors - no shared boundary will have same color both sides.

-B

ClipwHatch.png

• Love 1