How to fix Site Modifiers

MrPie

Question

Does anyone know how to fix this from happening (see image). It tends to happen with most of my models and is very annoying. Is there a way to force VW to update the site model or modifier properly? Also smooth better the site model itself. Even setting it to high quality typically shows some triangles shaded completely off. I've had this problem across versions, so it may be a style of my modeling or a setting I'm missing? Or do the Site modifiers just always do this? Please Help! Suggestions?? 

Ver: 2019 SP3 Latest Update
Settings: Low, Just displacements, grass not turned on for rendering time sake (it will still do this with grass turned on)

Failed Site Modifier.jpg

Edited by MrPie

1 answer to this question

@MrPie Sorry no earlier response. I hope others take a look, too. (c'mon forum!)

Duplicate the file for project safety & troubleshoot in the dupe file (or just copy paste a few of the elements into a new blank troubleshooting file).

Some things to look at or try regarding the Site Modifier Source Polys:

•Drawing pref for 2d conversion and 3d conversion should be set to high or very high.

•Is the Modifier source poly closed?  If not, close it via OIP

•Sometimes an arc segment fills in edges transforming itself into a piece of pie.  Change arc vertices to different arc mode or bez/spline. (total longshot)

•Is the Modifier source poly sharing an edge with or overlapping a neighbor mod? Adjust to prevent share/overlap.  A very small gap is usually invisible.

•Make sure any problem mod is not a stack of duplicates of the same shape - eg move to side with Move too or Cut, then if nothing under, move it back or Undo.

•Is any problem SiteMod a version with retaining edge? Replace with the non retaining edge version.

Dbl click to edit and examine the source poly vertices.  Pull vertices in problem areas sideways to see if stacked or if an arc vertex is messing things.  Delete any stacks and unneeded arcs so that only one vertex at each location.

If possible, extract a bit of the site model and some of the problem modifier polys into a new vwx file that demonstrates the problems. Post it here if small enough, or post a DropBox link to it so others can examine.

Good luck!

-B

• Like 2