Vectorworks Significant Energy Use

Mark Freeman

Question

I've recently noticed that Vectorworks seems to be constantly using 'significant energy' on my MacBook Pro (2017) 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB. It hasn't always done this, but initiates the fan and uses significant energy even whilst working on small 2d cad drawings. Any guidance on how to resolve this?

Cheers,

M

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That GPU is only the minimum spec for what should run so that isn't too surprising. Vectorworks is a very demanding high powered application and it will use all system resources it possibly can. You MIGHT be able to reduce energy use by using Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics and setting it to Best Compatibility, that will reduce GPU usage, but performance will suffer.

11 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

That GPU is only the minimum spec for what should run so that isn't too surprising. Vectorworks is a very demanding high powered application and it will use all system resources it possibly can. You MIGHT be able to reduce energy use by using Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation Graphics and setting it to Best Compatibility, that will reduce GPU usage, but performance will suffer.

Thanks I shall give this a try! It's odd, I have been using it for over a year on this machine with little issues - now it seems to just lag and struggle.