Matster

Shuttering Spotlights in OpenGL

for some reason, i cannot see the results of shuttering my lights in OpenGL, it's is visible in fast render, but as soon as I switch to OpenGL, it just displays open shutter.

I do have a few LED battens with lots of emitters, but even with those off, it don't show the shutter.

Shutters require the use of advanced textures and shadows which are not supported in OpenGL.

So how do it edit my shutters quickly without a way to reference what it's doing? is there faster render than "Fast Renderworks" that will work?

1 hour ago, Matster said:

So how do it edit my shutters quickly without a way to reference what it's doing? is there faster render than "Fast Renderworks" that will work?

You can create a custom Renderworks style for this that is faster than the default modes. I cover this for a different reason here, but the same knowledge applies:

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

As i'm rendering at the PC's resolution, is there a benefit to lowering the PC's screen res, just while adjusting the shutters?

If youre rendering on the design layer, then yes reducing screen res (or reducing anti aliasing) will reduce the effective resolution that it renders at.

I understand that OpenGL doesn’t respond to transparent textures in VW, but it has always been my understanding that Vision uses OpenGL and it renders gobos and shutters just fine in real time. Is the difference the way Vision fixtures are made/how gobos and shutters are implemented or is it how OpenGL works in Vision?

I had posted a couple of years ago how helpful it would be if VW offered a really simple “console” that would allow you to focus a light, add a color, add a gobo, add shutters and set intensity. Pretty much what Vision has had for years. Even if that was an extra expense for end users it would be quite useful to a lot of designers that just want to set up scenes for rendering.

• Like 2

I agree, if you're doing a render for a client, these things need to be simple and quick. it probably took me as long to shutter 2 lights, as it did build the set (it was only a simple set though!  lol)

Also, maybe this is a comment for a new thread, but I also noticed, that once i apply a shutter, i cannot effect its focus on the render. Say i want to shutter off a light hitting a lectern to stop it spilling onto the screen, I would want to soft focus it, even though it is shuttered, or even spotting a logo on a set, I may want a shuttered soft focus halo, rather than a hard edge. I am most likely missing a trick which creates this effect, as I am new to this!

6 hours ago, Matster said:

I agree, if you're doing a render for a client, these things need to be simple and quick. it probably took me as long to shutter 2 lights, as it did build the set (it was only a simple set though!  lol)

Also, maybe this is a comment for a new thread, but I also noticed, that once i apply a shutter, i cannot effect its focus on the render. Say i want to shutter off a light hitting a lectern to stop it spilling onto the screen, I would want to soft focus it, even though it is shuttered, or even spotting a logo on a set, I may want a shuttered soft focus halo, rather than a hard edge. I am most likely missing a trick which creates this effect, as I am new to this!

Unfortunately, the best way to accomplish this is a custom gobo and adjusting the field and beam of the specific light. I’ve made an entire library of hard edge and soft edge gobos, including soft edge circles and rectangles specifically for that kind of thing. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, That is a great video! I'll be watching it through a few times to grasp some of those techniques! it is impressive how those renders and the reality look so alike!