JMR

Maxwell render plug-in?

Question

Hi all,

While I'm at it I wonder if a lot of VW users are also using Maxwell Render with some other software? It has plugins for Rhino, Archicad etc.

For those not familiar with it, the multilight feature is a killer - the whole scene is calculated at once, no matter if you have sunlight, spotlights, indirect lights etc...after rendering you just slide the luminaire controls up and down to get the scene you want - it's all there.

http://www.nextlimit.com/maxwell/

VW geometry can be exported to Maxwell, as such, but a plugin would be great.

2 answers to this question

I have the plug-in for ArchiCAD but I don't even use it. I much prefer to save the model as .3ds and import into Maxwell Studio for all of the pre-rendeing work and lighting.

As we all know, the quality of the rendering is all about the materials.  And Maxwell Studio is a much better place for managing the materials, adding content, setting up the lights, etc... Also,  there are more options for the kind of file formats for trees and such that you can use in Maxwell but no in ArchiCAD.  I was just not impressed with it much.  

First thing I do in Maxwell Studio is delete all the materials and reapply Maxwell materials.   I have no problem running both programs at the same time.   For me, rendering is a final phase and I don't need to use something like live-sync.  If it were just pretty pictures with lots of trees and such, I would use Lumion 9 Pro.  

I've used Maxwell plugin with Rhino for ~10 years with great results.