Stacked Openings in Wall - 2d Plan View

cberg

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Is there a way to stack wall recesses above each other without the wall lines showing up in 2d Plan?  I am using wall recesses (reluctantly) for my openings.  The wall tool desperately needs improvements!!!

524111513_ScreenShot2019-04-01at10_32_40AM.thumb.png.12f118e88078f84062aeedf5d3bb406c.png2112326087_ScreenShot2019-04-01at10_32_47AM.thumb.png.b5de56ce47f92da449db844ae171b5d2.png

Wall.vwx

Out of interest why are you using recesses for openings?

(Agreed that the wall tool needs lots of improvements)

I am working with an existing model of a building that was scanned in 3d and developed (by others) in Revit.  At this point in the VW Development cycle, Revit imports are not reliable (with lots of incorrect geometry).  As a result, most of the model had to be imported as an IFC file, (with a ton of associated 3d Solids Geometry). There has been considerable cleanup to make the model smarter since there are also problems with horizontal section viewports.  There is also no way to convert solids to walls.  :-(

It's easier for me to quickly do work in 3d solids rather than fuss with placing odd shaped windows in walls or dealing with stories and wall height elevations.

1384913111_ScreenShot2019-04-01at12_11_02PM.thumb.png.f128638affe8364b06665493c0d6aea3.png

Sure, but if you are modelling with solids how come you are using wall recesses?

You have my sympathy dealing with this kind of model.

Recent projects I've abandoned top/plan and do all my floorplans as horizontal sections to get round some of these issues.

There are issues with horizontal sections but I find them less restrictive than trying to make things look right in top/plan.

I've been trying rebuilding specific areas of the model to make it smarter (aka more parametric).  To that effect, I've been rebuilding some of the solids as walls.  I'm sure you know that wall recesses can be created by using a 3d polygon and a wall or a 3d solid and a wall.  Is there a better way to get an opening?  I tried using horizontal section cuts and wound up having other issues. 

12 hours ago, cberg said:

I've been trying rebuilding specific areas of the model to make it smarter (aka more parametric).  To that effect, I've been rebuilding some of the solids as walls.  I'm sure you know that wall recesses can be created by using a 3d polygon and a wall or a 3d solid and a wall.  Is there a better way to get an opening?  I tried using horizontal section cuts and wound up having other issues. 

Ok, I think I get you. I can see that for non-rectangular openings a recess is probably going to be easier than a window opening. My experience using wall recesses and projections has not been very happy, with them behaving unpredictably so I tend to avoid them, and whenever the wall tool falls short I default to modelling it as a solid. But you may need VW to recognise walls as such. What kind of problems were you having with horizontal section cuts?