Modify mesh while keeping texture

I am trying to show the visual effects of a proposed carpark and visitor facility.

I have imported a textured  .obj survey file in the form of a mesh (see attached file) and I need to insert the site model for the new carpark into this while keeping the terrain and textures of the surrounding area intact.

I find when I try to edit/cut a hole in the mesh to create a space for the new carpark, the texture disappears.

Is there a way to 'bake' the texture onto the 3d polygons within the mesh? or can the mesh be converted into another form that allows me to do this?

Thanks, Steve

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.47.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 4.52.03 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have been battling this same foe over the last few days. This may not work for you. I am dealing with a texture mapped obj model of a hand and fore arm. The texture mapping was lost with any cutting operation. I finally exported the file as a Rhino file and then imported it back in. The file was much larger and problematic but after sectioning it I exported as an obj. 

OK Thanks, I will give that a try also. In the end, I used a point cloud version of the file, It had 60 million points but was still quite workable. I found I was able to cut a hole in the cloud and place the site model with a reasonable level of realism in the output. I now need to match the tone of the lighting to what appears in the point cloud, the heliodon lighting is too green/yellow for some reason, so I think will need a custom light to correct this.