Line between two windows

HMichael

Question

Hey guys, 

I'm quite new to vectorworks and this is most likely easily solved, but I've been looking for a while and can't find the solution.

When putting 2 windows right next to each other in a wall, there remains a horizontal line between them the size of the wall, as shown in the picture.

How could I get rid of this?

Thanks in advance,

M

Schermafbeelding 2019-03-31 om 17.12.00.png

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

@michaelk So they're 2 seperate window units with the same style.
I changed the sash operation to Custom, but changing the mullion afterwards had no effect...

I don't understand why it's so hard for this program to do simple things like making connected window frames without the strange line

• Like 1
5 hours ago, HMichael said:

I changed the sash operation to Custom, but changing the mullion afterwards had no effect...

I don't understand why it's so hard for this program to do simple things like making connected window frames without the strange line

Years back I did a Wish for the ability to gang windows and doors together without the wall break lines between adjacent units in plan views.  

It was suggested that the solution was to create a custom symbol so there are only the Wall break lines at each end.  Yes that does work but there aren't many users who know how to do that and you won't find instructions on how to do it in Help.

I agree with you HMichael that the program should be able to do it.  The 3D isn't a problem.  It is only the 2D Plan View that is a problem and it seems that all that is needed is a choice of options to have both Wall break lines, Left Wall break line only, Right Wall break line only and No Wall break lines. 

• Like 1

@mike m oz Any chance you could explain me how to create a custom symbol? 😁

If it's a big workaround you shouldn't bother though, it's crazy to me that programs like Vectorworks don't change this stuff emmediatly.

These are the details that distinguish a mediocre program from a #1 on the market

See if you can make sense of this.

METHOD - to create DW4:

- Assemble the units as you want them.

- In Top/Plan View add 2D linework to get the required plan view (wall lines and the like).

- Select all of the components and create a hybrid symbol.  Make sure you use an insertion point that will centre it on the Wall.

- Edit the Wall Hole component of the symbol and create an extrude to cut the wall as required.

2105885441_HybridSymbolsinWalls.thumb.png.1b14bbb79e3c1323d5ee332b597a9b74.png

Wall Hybrid Symbols v2019.vwx

Wall Hybrid Symbols v2018.vwx

• Like 1
7 hours ago, HMichael said:

You have to then go into 'custom sash operations' and under 'num. of columns' put 2. Then changing the mullion width will have an effect. But you'll get a window with two sashes rather than two window units with their frames back to back.

If the 2-sash custom sash option is near enough to what you want then you can spend some time fiddling around with the various settings, some of which are a bit unpredictable. I usually manage to get something 'near enough' for early-stage 1:100 scale drawings but often once you progress to more detail you end up having to model the windows from scratch.

Basically the window tool in VW is rubbish - people have been asking for it to be fixed for years.

• Like 1