Streamdeck integration.

Matster

Question

On 4/2/2019 at 11:14 PM, Sebastiaan said:

So I got motivated to make a nice Stream Deck profile.

I used the standard VWX tools and menu's structure at first. I can imaging ordering it to most used functions later on.

95% of the shortcuts are the native vwx shortcuts. I'm on a mac so al shortcuts are with CMD instead of CTRL.

Not all tools that have a hotkey have a shortcut set yet. But all tools have a hotkey. (i didn't add the tools from the toolsets: Furniture/fixtures, Dims/notes, detailling, fasteners, machine components. It's a time consumer to alter all those tool pics and had enough of it. Anyone feels like doing those?)

Still would be amazing if VWX could write a fancy and perhaps dynamic plugin, maybe it could work similar to a Macbook pro's Touch Bar? Also maybe not all tools would need a keyboard shortcut to work with the stream deck.

By the way, only just finished this and didn't thoroughly test al the keys.

Hope you like it.

177806942_ScreenShot2019-04-02at23_06_28.thumb.png.4002890ae1ab24dd9888c13ec68dc99d.png

VWX.streamDeckProfile.zip

Wow, awsome!! Thank you so much!

May I ask, is there a way to get these icons from you, or can I extract them from the SD somehow? 

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, MartinBlomberg said:

Wow, awsome!! Thank you so much!

May I ask, is there a way to get these icons from you, or can I extract them from the SD somehow? 

Thanks!

You’re welcome.

Individual tool icons can be found in the VW installation. Jim Wilson explained in this topic were they  can be found. I have not extracted the new 2020/2021 tool icons yet. So you would have to get them yourself. 

Also in the topic below  you can learn how to get the toolset icons from a workspace file. 

hope that helps you! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sebastiaan said:

You’re welcome.

Individual tool icons can be found in the VW installation. Jim Wilson explained in this topic were they  can be found. I have not extracted the new 2020/2021 tool icons yet. So you would have to get them yourself. 

Also in the topic below  you can learn how to get the toolset icons from a workspace file. 

hope that helps you! 

Amazing, thanks buddy!

• Like 1
On 9/26/2020 at 4:43 PM, Sebastiaan said:

You’re welcome.

hope that helps you! 

Now I've found a lot of icons, thanks to the info given, cheers! But still, I lack a lot of tool icons and stuff, are they located some other place? 
Cheers!

16 hours ago, MartinBlomberg said:

Now I've found a lot of icons, thanks to the info given, cheers! But still, I lack a lot of tool icons and stuff, are they located some other place? 
Cheers!

Some Icons are also hidden in individual plugin files in the plugin folder within the application folder.

for instance many spotlight tool icons are hidden in spotlight.vwlibrary (richt mouse click 'show package contents' on a mac). Any .vwlibrary file could have some images in it, many don't but some do. A lot of work to check them all I know 😉

Also there are a couple of icons that I couldn't find anywhere that where hidden somewhere deeper. In that case I made a screenshot of those.

9 hours ago, E|FA said:

I'm using VW Architect 2023 on Mac and don't see them in Vectorworks.app -> (right click, Show package contents)->Resources->Vectorworks.VWR.  

SEE WARNING AT https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/58476-toolset-picture-files/&do=findComment&comment=292007

They're actually in the Workspace files (base64-encoded ASCII that need to be converted to icons) per that other thread... 

On 4/3/2019 at 10:14 AM, Sebastiaan said:

So I got motivated to make a nice Stream Deck profile.

I used the standard VWX tools and menu's structure at first. I can imaging ordering it to most used functions later on.

95% of the shortcuts are the native vwx shortcuts. I'm on a mac so al shortcuts are with CMD instead of CTRL.

Not all tools that have a hotkey have a shortcut set yet. But all tools have a hotkey. (i didn't add the tools from the toolsets: Furniture/fixtures, Dims/notes, detailling, fasteners, machine components. It's a time consumer to alter all those tool pics and had enough of it. Anyone feels like doing those?)

Still would be amazing if VWX could write a fancy and perhaps dynamic plugin, maybe it could work similar to a Macbook pro's Touch Bar? Also maybe not all tools would need a keyboard shortcut to work with the stream deck.

By the way, only just finished this and didn't thoroughly test al the keys.

Hope you like it.

177806942_ScreenShot2019-04-02at23_06_28.thumb.png.4002890ae1ab24dd9888c13ec68dc99d.png

VWX.streamDeckProfile.zip

Created an Stream Deck icon set of all the 2023Vectorworks icons architect version

here it is: 

com.matthatchard.vectorworks2023.streamDeckIconPack.zip

• Like 2
On 9/13/2023 at 5:36 PM, E|FA said:

I grabbed the 2024 icons in case anyone is interested.

Only a partial set.  A bunch must be hiding somewhere.

@Robert Anderson @Stephan Moenninghoff Is there any reason VW can't share all of the SVG (and/or PNG) files that are available in Workspace Editor -> Tools -> All Tools to help us users set up SteamDecks so we can be more efficient in our workflows?  

@LDraminski has Elgato been contacted or considered as a partner product?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
54 minutes ago, E|FA said:

Only a partial set.  A bunch must be hiding somewhere.

There are several places where Icons are kept:

• Vectorworks.vwr
  • Plugins
  • Vectorscript tools and commands

As of Vectorworks 2024, toolset icons are also stored in Vectorworks.vwr for easier access. 

Unfortunately, with Vectorscript icons, you cannot get to them from the plugins. I am attaching them here for you.

VS.zip

• Like 3

Bumping this thread. Is anybody willing to share their fleshed out profiles? I installed @Sebastiaan's (THANK YOU) but as it's a few years old, many of the buttons don't work with current keyboard shortcuts.

If you've added custom keyboard shortcuts to make it work, can you list too?

What a great piece of kit!

Has anyone managed to map symbols to the stream deck? For instance - I get very bored when drawing truss having to select the drop down and change between lengths, spacers and corner blocks. I almost always use h30v or s36r so I'd love to map some groups to a stream deck of my most commonly used symbols whilst using a specific tool. 

Top picks that spring to mind would be truss, lighting fixtures, stage decks with preset dimensions and heights. My mind's bursting with possibilities but it rings true that being able to map buttons for tool.and symbol combos would greatly increase efficiency and drawing time! 

Button pressing with the left hand and mouse control with the right...it would be a thing of beauty

21 hours ago, benjamin.annas said:

Has anyone managed to map symbols to the stream deck? For instance - I get very bored when drawing truss having to select the drop down and change between lengths, spacers and corner blocks. I almost always use h30v or s36r so I'd love to map some groups to a stream deck of my most commonly used symbols whilst using a specific tool. 

Top picks that spring to mind would be truss, lighting fixtures, stage decks with preset dimensions and heights. My mind's bursting with possibilities but it rings true that being able to map buttons for tool.and symbol combos would greatly increase efficiency and drawing time! 

Button pressing with the left hand and mouse control with the right...it would be a thing of beauty

You might be able to achieve that with a multistep macro that begins with selecting the Truss PIO, then "I" for the 2nd mode, but not sure how you select a resource from the Resource Selector... Maybe with VectorScript?

52 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

You might be able to achieve that with a multistep macro that begins with selecting the Truss PIO, then "I" for the 2nd mode, but not sure how you select a resource from the Resource Selector... Maybe with VectorScript?

Thanks Mark. I was thinking vectorscript / python. Programming isn't a strong suite to be honest! I've started reading but I almost need someone tell me it's possible and worth the time learning! So far from what I can see it might need to be a SDK development rather than scripting. People don't seem to use scripts for similar uses and it appears to be batch tasks.

I've thought a lot about it today and figure there are three different sweet spots for "power users" and stream decks - especially for the Entertainment sector as that's where my use case lies.

1 - being able to select a tool, enter object info parameters and have it ready to place. 

This would be ideal for spotlight tools like deck, steps, curtain etc. 

Eg: select deck tool > set height > set width > set depth > set structure. Ideally I see this being 2 buttons. Button 1 selects the tool and sets the width and depth based on which button was pressed. Multiple buttons for multiple standard sizes - 8ft x 4ft, 8ft x 2ft, 4ft x 4ft etc etc. The second Button allows you to set the height of all the buttons above. As the tool remembers the last information entered, if any of the above was possible I think this is the best way to have complete control with minimal buttons.

2 - Tools such as truss, motors and lighting fixtures that have specific tools but hundreds of different options within the resource browser need a slightly different work flow. The tool selection would be the same but the script would need to be able to select a item from the resource browser. I don't know if each item is given its own "code" or "reference" that would allow us to locate it and activate it using a script.

If anyone has any insights into the above I'm all ears. I honestly think that having access to something like the above would be a massive efficiency upgrade for regular users especially in spotlight and would make drawing so much quicker

3 minutes ago, benjamin.annas said:

Thanks Mark. I was thinking vectorscript / python. Programming isn't a strong suite to be honest! I've started reading but I almost need someone tell me it's possible and worth the time learning! So far from what I can see it might need to be a SDK development rather than scripting. People don't seem to use scripts for similar uses and it appears to be batch tasks.

I've thought a lot about it today and figure there are three different sweet spots for "power users" and stream decks - especially for the Entertainment sector as that's where my use case lies.

1 - being able to select a tool, enter object info parameters and have it ready to place. 

This would be ideal for spotlight tools like deck, steps, curtain etc. 

Eg: select deck tool > set height > set width > set depth > set structure. Ideally I see this being 2 buttons. Button 1 selects the tool and sets the width and depth based on which button was pressed. Multiple buttons for multiple standard sizes - 8ft x 4ft, 8ft x 2ft, 4ft x 4ft etc etc. The second Button allows you to set the height of all the buttons above. As the tool remembers the last information entered, if any of the above was possible I think this is the best way to have complete control with minimal buttons.

2 - Tools such as truss, motors and lighting fixtures that have specific tools but hundreds of different options within the resource browser need a slightly different work flow. The tool selection would be the same but the script would need to be able to select a item from the resource browser. I don't know if each item is given its own "code" or "reference" that would allow us to locate it and activate it using a script.

If anyone has any insights into the above I'm all ears. I honestly think that having access to something like the above would be a massive efficiency upgrade for regular users especially in spotlight and would make drawing so much quicker

Are you familiar with the Red Symbol workflow?

Also, you can make a Blue symbol that’s essentially a bunch of Red symbols. For example, every PIO you listed above can be saved as a single Blue symbol (group)—literally an entire show—then dragged out of the RM, and populated in your drawing as preconfigured PIO’s.

No idea how to do that with a Stream Deck but it does save a quadrillion clicks.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Also, you can make a Blue symbol that’s essentially a bunch of Red symbols. For example, every PIO you listed above can be saved as a single Blue symbol (group)—literally an entire show—then dragged out of the RM, and populated in your drawing as preconfigured PIO’s.

No idea how to do that with a Stream Deck but it does save a quadrillion clicks.

Thanks again! 

I didn't realise that was what the different type of symbols were called / separated but it makes perfect sense now. 

I've never considered saving plugin symbols with the object info preset. That will save a lot of time and would save a lot of steps from my statement above so thank you for that! I guess now I need to see if I can reference a workgroup / favourites file and link symbols saved onto a steam deck button.