Streamdeck integration.

Matster

Question

Following! I have a streamdeck but have not yet made my profile fancy.

I would really want the native tool pics to be part of the profile. I can retrieve toolset pic files from a workspace file. But the tool pics themselves I have not yet found a way. 

Streamdeck now has has a SDK for developers so maybe the VWX team could create a nice streamdeck plugin? Just like they support 3dConnexion? 

@Jim Wilson any chance? 

• Like 3

That looks nice @Sebastiaan! I think i i'll use it and maybe port a few of my controls onto yours and have a play.

things that would be useful are some preset move-by-points (0,1,10 etc), also i made a macro (esc,esc,esc,x,x,x) to get me out of any selection i had and added a resource toggle, but mine was a bit rubbish and done on the fly, i think i'll start using yours 😀

2 hours ago, Matster said:

That looks nice @Sebastiaan! I think i i'll use it and maybe port a few of my controls onto yours and have a play.

things that would be useful are some preset move-by-points (0,1,10 etc), also i made a macro (esc,esc,esc,x,x,x) to get me out of any selection i had and added a resource toggle, but mine was a bit rubbish and done on the fly, i think i'll start using yours 😀

Glad you like it! Would you feel like making the remaining tool pics in return ;-)?

The escape macro sounds like a goed idea, but I presume that if you're in a 4th group you would have to press again?

3 minutes ago, Sebastiaan said:

Glad you like it! Would you feel like making the remaining tool pics in return ;-)?

The escape macro sounds like a goed idea, but I presume that if you're in a 4th group you would have to press again?

if someone from the Vectorworks team sends us the icon picture, it wouldn't take too long!

not sure what you mean by the 4th group, I've only been using Vectorworks for about a month lol!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you're on a Mac, you should be able to get at them directly, the "2x" ones are the ones for high res displays:

Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks 2019⁩ ▸ (Show Package Contents on 2019 app)⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Resources⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks.vwr⁩ ▸ ⁨Images⁩

However I've attached a zip of that folder in case any Windows users need them, as I think its harder to get at them from that OS. The naming and folder structure wasn't meant to be user friendly, but searching for a tool name within this zip should find what you need.

Images.zip

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Jim Wilson said:

If you're on a Mac, you should be able to get at them directly, the "2x" ones are the ones for high res displays:

Macintosh HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Applications⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks 2019⁩ ▸ (Show Package Contents on 2019 app)⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Resources⁩ ▸ ⁨Vectorworks.vwr⁩ ▸ ⁨Images⁩

However I've attached a zip of that folder in case any Windows users need them, as I think its harder to get at them from that OS. The naming and folder structure wasn't meant to be user friendly, but searching for a tool name within this zip should find what you need.

Images.zip

Hey @Jim Wilson

Thanks for that. For some reason, most of the spotlight tools, and also some others can not be found. Not in the application package, nor in the plugins folder. VWspotlight.vwr for instance does not contain images. Can't find them anywhere else too, which makes me think they are hidden in each tools own .vso. Would you guys be willing to share those pics in a package?

And any chance on a fancy plugin for stream deck?

Pretty cool.  It seems to have no lag when triggering keyboard shortcuts.  I little bit of lag when stacking lots of them.  

Rather than use it for keyboard shortcuts my fingers already know, I've been playing with using it for combinations of shortcuts that I do over and over.  (Duplicate and move 16" up, down, left, right)

I'm thinking it would be great to replace script palettes.  I could give scripts keyboard shortcuts that I have no hope of remembering and give them icons…

Even if it doesn't work out for VW, I've already built a workspace for another app I use all the time that will be very helpful.

• Like 3

There are also tons of ways that you can use it beyond specific apps, i.e. I have found in a month or so of us that my most commonly used buttons are direct links to the folder in my dropbox for the shows I'm working on the most, direct links to websites that I visit the most and a whole variety of text entry shortcuts for things I type a lot....and that's without even getting into stacking up a lot of multiple commands!

It would be nice to avoid having to do the whole create-shortcut dance to use it with VW, especially as I go back and forth between different machines and use different workspaces for each (laptop vs desktop)....

• Like 1
3 hours ago, thom512 said:

Hi all, just decided to buy a stream deck and it's not triggering VW. Is there a setting in VW to allow the interface? 

Thom

Are you using my profile? 

Did you install the streamdeck application? 

If So are you on a Windows or on a mac? If you’re on windows then you may need to re assign the keyboard shortcuts to work with control in stead of cmd key. 

And don’t forget to upvote at the top of this page 😉

Edited by Sebastiaan

Hi Sebaastian,

Yes, I'm using your profile (THANK YOU!!) and on Windows. But even the keys mapped to a single shortcut aren't working (pressing the letter H, for instance, for Pan.

That being said, some of the mappings need to be changed to Windows friendly - thank you for pointing that out to me!

Thom

I figured out the solution!

I tried opening up Notepad and hit the pan button and nothing happened, so I re-entered it and it worked (even though it already said "H").

That and of course re-tooling for Windows. 

For some reason, it didn't read the hot key assignments. 

Thanks all!!

Thom

• Like 1

I'm having problems with Stream Deck and Vectorworks as well, for some reason Vectorworks is not recieving hot keys.

I have the same problem when I try with a X-Keys device.

When I have a hotkey that consist of two keys like <Alt>+<0> vectorworks will only react to <Alt> and not see <0>.

Both devices work when I try them in notepad and with other programs.

Have anyone else had this problem?

I'm running Vectorworks on Windows 10.

Lars

Edited by Lars Hermansen

I would LOOOOVE a button that reset the "Move by Points Tool" to unselect the 'Object Retention Mode' and zeroed out the 'Number of Duplicates". Sometimes a homie just wants to move things.

Then a button to turn the 'Object Retention Mode' on leaving the cursor in the 'Number of Duplicates' box active.  Beyond that, if the choice selections showed up for all tools on streamdeck, my VW excitement wouldn't be contained.

PS: If you made a YouTube channel that showed how to make these buttons, I'd watch all the ads on it.

Edited by duesj
There's an image... Not sure why

You probably know this, but …

The 'I' key will toggle Object Retention mode on and off.

I've gotten in the habit of invoking the move by points tool with Shift-MM, which does put the cursor in the number of duplicates field of the preferences dialog box.  A that point, Command-I (or Control-I) will toggle object retention on and off.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, duesj said:

I'm sorta in love with Vectorworks again.  

U, I, O, P, and [ will select/toggle the modes of every tool.  I've always appreciated that the Move by Points preferences dialog box uses the same letter as the mode shortcut to change the object retention option.

There's at least one other example of this (that I really wish I could think of right now).  You have a lot of time to think about things like this when you draw all day. 😜

• Like 1