Can't Move Label Legend Individually

Hello -

Normally when I want to slightly move a single instruments label legend symbols there is a little blue anchor point. For some reason it is missing on this specific drafting - my selection tool IS set to " Single Object Interactive Scaling Mode" so that shouldn't be the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Check that the symbol has a 3D component, or that it is in the screen plane. The control points are screen plane objects for Lighting Devices, so you will only see them if the symbol is also in the screen plane. Hybrid symbols always have a screen plane component by definition, so you always see the control points in Top/Plan.

More likely you have inadvertently selected the far left icon in the mode bar in the top left of your document window.  It is the icon that contains a red circle with a line through it.  be sure that icon is not selected. 

52414022_ScreenShot2019-03-30at12_46_53AM.thumb.png.7ad460aceb7d63b9f768f88db814bd29.png

Edited by klinzey
Remove duplicate images
  • 4 months later...

I am also having this problem.

Even more strangely, one of the elements in my Label Legend does have its selection handle. The gobo dot, with the selection handle, is populated from user field 1 and it has a blue movement handle. However, the unit number, address, and dimmer fields all are missing the selection handles. (As you can see from my screenshot, my selection mode is set correctly.)

1112838323_ScreenShot2019-08-06at12_26_00PM.thumb.png.113b3e6fa5070df0a953f2024f739030.png

Further clues:

I can open an older document created in VW2018, and all works correctly. Until.... I open the legend symbol, once I do that it is broken as described above.

1709910790_ScreenShot2019-08-06at12_34_30PM.thumb.png.0e045a2a9a78b311ea323c5f656d4d98.png

The above is a screenshot of an old 2018 file opened in 2019, with two instruments selected, and selection handles working as expected. Once the label symbol is opened, and closed (no changes) it then behaves as pictured below. (Unit 16 is now broken, unit 12 is still working - its label symbol was unopened.)

1219151197_ScreenShot2019-08-06at12_41_06PM.thumb.png.bb5cecd747b48887d0af13de736d8821.png

but once its symbol is opened and closed, it too is broken.

1601251376_ScreenShot2019-08-06at12_43_20PM.thumb.png.3d523b5d197a3d297613d52093eeca90.png

Running Version 2019 SP4

Any clues would be welcome.

Try hitting the reset button in your preferences. I also note that you are using a migrated workspace which is not recommended. Reverting to the latest workspace that ships with the version is quite important as sometimes tools have to be reloaded (if they've been worked on) and new commands get orphaned in the 'New' menu and new tools likewise in an orphaned toolset. I'm not saying this will fix it but worth a try on several fronts. 

Cheers,

Peter

• 1 month later...

As near as I can tell the issue is related to the plane of some of the objects. Not so much the instruments, but the containers for the legends, or the text elements. At one point I thought I had it all worked out and then my solution did not seem to work with a new document. In the end, I think I ended up duplicating the container objects, and rebuilding the legend. Very odd. I wish I knew what was really going on.

I have a slightly related topic that hopefully someone can help me with. Sometimes I want to move all components of my label legend for one fixture but not another with the same legend. Is there a way to do this without creating another label legend. Basically I want to select all and drag to a new place.

6 hours ago, LX1 said:

I have a slightly related topic that hopefully someone can help me with. Sometimes I want to move all components of my label legend for one fixture but not another with the same legend. Is there a way to do this without creating another label legend. Basically I want to select all and drag to a new place.

Either, you have to move all of the parts of the legend by hand. 

Or you you can group all of the items in your Label Legend layout. In this case there is only one handle to move everything at once. However there are some issues with grouped legends you might run into. 

you can not select multiple blue handles of an not grouped legend. 

Data Tags will give you more freedom of placement. They are worth trying out. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This video shows a label legend with individual selection handles that formerly moved each individual field without affecting any other field.

In 2019, the selection handles are there, but when I try to move the field, nothing happens and it changes to one selection handle for the whole label legend.

P.S.  Greenhorn relates to these message boards.  I've been drafting light plots with this software for twenty years.  What happened?

Edited by Colleen

I know the suspense is killing everyone. . .

So, my label legends are pretty old.  They date back to I'm not sure when.

So the old generic instrument seems to be causing the problem.

When I check "Use Layout Symbol" for a legend, and delete the old generic instrument in the 2D symbol, this issue goes away.

Hooray!

and weird.

USE LAYOUT SYMBOL.jpg

Edited by Colleen
  • Like 3