Matster

Creating Drape Surface not subtracting edges

Question

I am trying to do something very straight forward, but it seems to be failing!

I have created a table cloth draped over a table, all i am trying to do is remove the excess square that appears when creating the drape. I follow the Vectorworks video on YouTube, which is brief, says, create drape, draw a rectangle over the excess, extrude to "X" amount, subtract surfaces, Done!

However when i do it it says

"You have tried to create a solid object which cannot be computed. Edit the geometry to resolve this condition and try again"

frustratingly, if i lower the U and V direction i can make it work, but then the resolution of the object is lost and it looks rubbish! leaving it at 50/50 is a nice compromise, but the object will not clip!

has anyone got any ideas?

To detail the object it's a 6' diameter cylinder at 800mm high

4 answers to this question

the Cannot Be Computed error can be a LOT of things, could you post that object on its own in a test file and I can take a look?

Hi Jim, thanks for looking at this for me! I have attached a drawing, let me know what you think? It all seems as it should be simple, but i'm sure i must be missing something!

Table.vwx

I'm not sure you'll get that draped NURBS surface to trim. Its quite complex and won't slice using the Split Tool which is a bad sign. The resulting drape ends up with a bit of an odd top edge too.

I often make table cloths using the soft goods tool instead. I've attached an example file. The image below shows a comparison between the draped surface and a table skirt created with softgoods. If you draw and circle and use the "Create Objects from Shapes" menu command you can convert it to a Softgoods object.

Kevin

730284835_ScreenShot2019-03-28at9_37_19AM.thumb.png.cf350e77137caaf3353034decde3ea54.png

Table Using Soft Goods.vwx

Thanks Kevin that is a great shout and I will certainly be using that method, as it looks fin for my needs!

I only wend down this route because of a Vectorwork YouTube video! They clearly sent me on a fools errand