Door & Window Styles in Symbols not Retained in VW 2019

willofmaine

Question

It seems that in Vectorworks 2019, Door PIO and Window PIO Styles are not retained when they're inside symbols and when their Vectorworks file is closed and reopened.  In VW 2018, this doesn't seem to be an issue.

In File 01, attached, edit either of the symbols, and notice that the PIOs are "Unstyled."  Re-assign their Styles, exit the symbols, re-check any of the symbols, and all's fine.  Save the file, close it, re-open it, edit the symbols and, again, they've reverted back to "Unstyled."

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.  Ha ha.  I originally discussed it exactly half-a-year ago with Tech Support on September 23.  Door & Window styles are one of the main reasons I'm not still using VW 2016...  PLEASE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  VWIS148 

01-Styles not Retained in VW 2019.vwx

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/23/2019 at 7:33 PM, willofmaine said:

It seems that in Vectorworks 2019, Door PIO and Window PIO Styles are not retained when they're inside symbols and when their Vectorworks file is closed and reopened.  In VW 2018, this doesn't seem to be an issue.

In File 01, attached, edit either of the symbols, and notice that the PIOs are "Unstyled."  Re-assign their Styles, exit the symbols, re-check any of the symbols, and all's fine.  Save the file, close it, re-open it, edit the symbols and, again, they've reverted back to "Unstyled."

I have not personally heard of this one!

I was easily able to reproduce this using your steps. A quick search in our bug list did not turn up anything that looked similar so I went ahead and submitted one to make sure. I'll make sure it gets in the right hands.

Bug filed: VB-159027 Plug-in Style: Styled instance in symbol becomes Unstyled

• Like 1

This inability of Doors and Windows in symbols to retain their Door and Window Styles when in said symbols persists in Vectorworks 2020.

It is absolutely, extremely beyond frustrating.  Particularly since it was acknowledged by Tech Support exactly ONE year ago tomorrow, and again submitted to the "engineers" six months ago by Matt.  VWIS148

Edited by willofmaine
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/22/2019 at 8:12 PM, willofmaine said:

This inability of Doors and Windows in symbols to retain their Door and Window Styles when in said symbols persists in Vectorworks 2020.

It is absolutely, extremely beyond frustrating.  Particularly since it was acknowledged by Tech Support exactly ONE year ago tomorrow, and again submitted to the "engineers" six months ago by Matt.  VWIS148

Hi Will,

We've found the issue and plan to have a fix in place for an upcoming service pack. Note: SP1 release have very limited types of bug fixes so this will come after that.

The problem has to do with symbols that contain ONLY a single styled plug-in object. So, in the meantime, you can avoid the problem by placing an additional object (eg: a locus) in the symbol.

• Like 3

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Fantastic!!!  This is major (at least for me).  One of the main reasons I moved beyond VW 2016 was for Door & Window Styles, a reason seriously compromised when this Symbols issue appeared with VW 2019.  So, it is absolutely, extremely beyond great to now have this solution!  (Which solution must be one of the simplest VW workarounds ever...   ...one that I never would have figured out in a million years...).  Thanks, Matt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!