Section Marker Scale/Size

RafaelPernia

Question

Hello Everyone, I'm starting my 3rd or 4th project in VW and the section markers (the triangles and bubbles with the numbers inside) look oversized in some viewports and tiny in others. It makes sense since I'm specifying the marker size in inches but I never had this issue before. Is there a way to keep them relative to the drawing like the Grid bubbles? There must be something I'm missing. 

Thank in advance!

I'm using VW 2019 SP2 on macOS 10.14.3

17 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Are the section lines placed in design layers? If so, the best way to avoid this problem is to not show them in design layers, or place them on a design layer that's not visible in the viewports (if you want to have them there for reference). Then, select the section viewport and click on the "Section Line Instances" button in the Object Info palette. A dialog will appear allowing you to choose which layers and viewports to display the section lines in. Any viewports you show them in will place a section line in their annotations. Each section line marker will then display according to the scale of its parent viewport.

• Like 1
On 3/22/2019 at 1:40 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Are the section lines placed in design layers? If so, the best way to avoid this problem is to not show them in design layers, or place them on a design layer that's not visible in the viewports (if you want to have them there for reference). Then, select the section viewport and click on the "Section Line Instances" button in the Object Info palette. A dialog will appear allowing you to choose which layers and viewports to display the section lines in. Any viewports you show them in will place a section line in their annotations. Each section line marker will then display according to the scale of its parent viewport.

Thanks this seems logic and handy. Actuallly it works, the layer is off but the section lines are there as annotations.

But still, the size of the markers is constant. I just duplicated a floor plan viewport, changed the scale and the markers are the same size in both. If I manually change the size of a marker in one viewport it changes in the other. I'm guessing this has something to do with layer scale and viewport scales. Anyway, thanks for your tip, it made me understand the section line instances.

33 minutes ago, RafaelPernia said:

Thanks this seems logic and handy. Actuallly it works, the layer is off but the section lines are there as annotations.

But still, the size of the markers is constant. I just duplicated a floor plan viewport, changed the scale and the markers are the same size in both. If I manually change the size of a marker in one viewport it changes in the other. I'm guessing this has something to do with layer scale and viewport scales. Anyway, thanks for your tip, it made me understand the section line instances.

Glad to help! 🙂

The "printed" size of the markers should be the same across viewports regardless of the viewport's scale. IOW, a marker seen in a 1:50 scale viewport should be the same size (as seen on the sheet layer) as the same section line marker in a viewport of another scale.

On 3/27/2019 at 12:26 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Glad to help! 🙂

The "printed" size of the markers should be the same across viewports regardless of the viewport's scale. IOW, a marker seen in a 1:50 scale viewport should be the same size (as seen on the sheet layer) as the same section line marker in a viewport of another scale.

Is there a way to change the size (or style) of the marker on different viewports?

For example:

We usually have a larger-scale viewport of the plan with the section markers at scale 1. 

We want to show a key plan with the section markers at a scale of 0.2.

How can this be done?

Same with the grid lines and reference markers and tags. 

Is there a way to convert them to world-based instead of page-based like it used to be able to do? 

7 hours ago, nahekul said:

Is there a way to change the size (or style) of the marker on different viewports?

For example:

We usually have a larger-scale viewport of the plan with the section markers at scale 1. 

We want to show a key plan with the section markers at a scale of 0.2.

How can this be done?

You can change the size of the marker using the 'Scale Factor' parameter in the OIP but this will change the size of all instances of the marker so you need to create an unlinked copy of the marker first i.e. copy the marker, delete the original then paste in place. So not an ideal situation. I think this issue was discussed recently + they are looking at making it so you can make certain parameters - like scale factor - by instance, in the way you currently can with Grid Lines. @Matt Panzer will be able to confirm

8 hours ago, Tom W. said:

You can change the size of the marker using the 'Scale Factor' parameter in the OIP but this will change the size of all instances of the marker so you need to create an unlinked copy of the marker first i.e. copy the marker, delete the original then paste in place. So not an ideal situation. I think this issue was discussed recently + they are looking at making it so you can make certain parameters - like scale factor - by instance, in the way you currently can with Grid Lines. @Matt Panzer will be able to confirm

Section Lines and other "smart marker" object have a "Marker Scale Factor" parameter in the Object Info palette.  This parameter can be by instance so each instance can have its own setting.

5 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Section Lines and other "smart marker" object have a "Marker Scale Factor" parameter in the Object Info palette.  This parameter can be by instance so each instance can have its own setting.

I do have it set to By Instance + it does allow me to edit the scale factor for any instance of the Drawing Label but the change affects all instances, not just the one in question. Unless I'm missing something? I thought we discussed this very issue elsewhere a few weeks back...

The marker in question is a Section-Elevation Line.

Sorry I see where we're misunderstanding each other now. I meant when you have the same Section-Elevation Line object displayed in multiple viewports: you change one instance of that object + all the others change as well. I thought this was what @nahekul was talking about... Maybe I should have said 'sub-instance' 🙂

9 hours ago, Tom W. said:

You can change the size of the marker using the 'Scale Factor' parameter in the OIP but this will change the size of all instances of the marker so you need to create an unlinked copy of the marker

Thanks Tom. That's what we'll do for now as a workaround. 

15 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Sorry I see where we're misunderstanding each other now. I meant when you have the same Section-Elevation Line object displayed in multiple viewports: you change one instance of that object + all the others change as well. I thought this was what @nahekul was talking about... Maybe I should have said 'sub-instance' 🙂

Yes, if it is the same section-elevation line displayed in multiple viewports, then the scale factor parameter affects all of them (in different viewports). 

Matt, the video only shows that different section-elevation lines can have different scale factors. 

58 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Ah right!  OK, I need more coffee. 😉 

Yes.  So you'd want this to behave more like a Grid Line object, I believe.  I agree and this is something we want to be able to do.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, drelARCH said:

Does Detail Callout Marker Scale Factor works differently?

I mean we have set up ' Marker Scale Factor' by instance, but changing it in one viewport affect same detail callouts marker scale factor in other viewport.

Is this a bug?

No I don't think it's a bug. This is essentially the same behaviour as with Section-Elevation Lines. I think if you create a Detail Callout in one VP then duplicate that VP, then changes to the Detail Callout in the 1st VP will be mirrored in the Detail Callout in the 2nd VP, the same as happens with Section-Elevation Lines. But if you copy the 1st Detail Callout + paste it into the 2nd VP (or create a new Detail Callout from scratch), even if you then link it to the same Detail VP, it will not respond to edits made to the 1st Detail Callout. Which again is the same as what happens when you create a duplicate Section-Elevation Line + link it to the Section VP.

• Like 1

As a workaround, can you create a second (differently styled or scaled) marker, but not have it generate a SLVP, yet still link it to the relevant viewport for automatic drawing coordination?  I'm in the middle of a deadline so can't test it myself right now.

13 minutes ago, E|FA said:

As a workaround, can you create a second (differently styled or scaled) marker, but not have it generate a SLVP, yet still link it to the relevant viewport for automatic drawing coordination?  I'm in the middle of a deadline so can't test it myself right now.

As above you can copy the section line then delete it then paste the copy in place. Then link it to the section VP if required.

• Like 1