Problem with class visibility in viewports

When opening drawings saved in VW 11.5 format using VW11, a message appears saying that the class visibility has been changed on some viewports and to see these changes look at a text file located in the program folder.

Why is this occuring? Very frustrating having to locate these changes and correct them.

Thanks

BG

This message is not intended to alarm you or alert you that VectorWorks has changed anything in the drawing.

It simply means that the class visibilities of the document vs the class visibilities of viewports are different. It's there to let you know you may have to change viewport visibilities to ensure seeing everything you want to see.

In earlier versions of VW 11, despite what the class visibilites for a viewport were, you still have to have the overall document class settings visibile for what you wanted to see and didn't want to see. There was a situation where the dimension class could be invisible in your viewport and the overall dimension class be visible and see everything created in the annotations section of the veiwport.

IN VW 11.5, that's all been fixed. A viewport will display the proper class and layer visibilites as defined in the viewport. The overall document class settings will not affect the view of any viewports.

Katie,

Regarding my question in the other post (http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=004671):

quote:

In 11.5 can I keep the original notes and dimensions [created on a design layer] invisible in a viewport, but still use the annotation function with the same "notes" and "dimension" classes?

Am I right in understanding then that the answer to this question is No?

If the answer is Yes, what am I not doing correctly to achieve what I want.

(If the answer is No, that's unfortunate, at least for the main reason I suggested for wanting to do this. I can see where the fix makes things less confusing as far as knowing what's on or off, but I prefer not having to multiply classes and layers if possible.)

• 1 month later...

This "Fix" turned out to be a real bummer for us. What it means is that if you use a drawing to produce multiple scales of details, you really shouldn't do any notes or dimensions in the design layer.

The way it used to work, you could note up an overall plan or section in the design layer, make a sheet of details using viewports and turn off the notes classes and dimensions in the viewport settings. The beauty of it was that the viewport classes were not tied to the annotations, so you could continue to use those classes in the viewport annotations. This was very useful for creating multiple sheets with various scaled details. You could have one text class, one dimensions class, and still control their visibility in viewports.

Now we've got to revert to the older Vectorworks to avoid spending hours revising all of our drawings. Contrary to Katie's remark, the warning message was both alarming and an indication that Vectorworks had changed the drawing.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with dgruber, I much preferred the old system, where you didn't have to create multiple note and dimension classes.

All pre 11.5 drawings now come out with their viewports missing info or not wanted info appearing.

In fact this and coupled with the crashing problems (though this seems to have been solved with the patch and a video driver update) means I haven't updated our other machines to 11.5.

If I do, i think we'll keep one running 11 just to be able to open older files properly. And change the attributes on the files to read only so they don't get accidently "corrupted" by 11.5.