CONVERT LOGO TO EXTRUDE

Dendecko

I have a complicated logo in Adobe Illustrator.  I'm trying to transfer the logo to vectorworks in order to create a layout for a neon sign to be created from it, I would like to extrude it to create multiple views of the sign.  So far every time I import It is converted to 100 someodd objects that many of which cannot be extruded due to intersecting lines.  Now going in and editing each problematic line is an option but would be very time consuming.  Additionally I have tried extruding within adobe illustrator but when I export it no long has its 3d information and I am left with just polylines.  Does anyone know of a method for me to bring either the extruded adobe version or how I can extrude without editing each individual polyline? Other possible methods of accomplishing this? I have about 30 of these to do and the timeline would be near insurmountable to edit lines 3000+ times.

Thanks

Turtle.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

So, there will definitely be SOME hand editing needed, however this may reduce how much of it you have to do:

You cannot extrude Lines, well, you can but it won't give you what you're looking for. So we need all of this geometry to be closed polylines or polygons. All of these segments are not closed, but rather than looking at EVERY join, you can use the Polygon tool in Fill mode, then set a stark fill color in the attributes palette and click inside the areas that should be enclosed. It should generate a filled poly for you in any of the spaces that have complete borders, and it should be much faster to simply click through the various areas with a single tool and let it fill what it can, THEN do any remaining single line edits needed to get closed figures.

image.png

I just clicked rapidly and at random for the above fill test, but this may give a clearer idea of what I mean.

• Like 1