bbudzon

Vision 2019 SP3 MVR Improvements

Can MVR import Focus Points for conventional fixtures from Vectorworks so they are already focused on import? I haven't been keeping up lately, but this is the main feature I have been hoping for for a while now.

1 hour ago, wclights said:

Can MVR import Focus Points for conventional fixtures from Vectorworks so they are already focused on import? I haven't been keeping up lately, but this is the main feature I have been hoping for for a while now.

It can! In theory, esc should support this as well in 2018+ 😉

Can you clarify: from Vectorworks, what file type does the "Send to Vision" command use, and is it the preferred file type?

10 minutes ago, DavidRoy said:

from Vectorworks, what file type does the "Send to Vision" command use

It still uses ESC unfortunately. We were hesitant to change Send to Vision to use MVR as it would change up the workflow mid-release. 2020 will likely use MVR as the default format for Send to Vision.

11 minutes ago, DavidRoy said:

and is it the preferred file type?

MVR will be the preferred file type moving forward. I highly recommend checking it out. For the time being, from VW simply export an MVR to your desktop or a user-created folder. From Vision, "Open" this MVR to create the initial document. Now you can go back into VW, make more changes, and export the MVR overwriting the original file. From Vision, you may now "Merge" this updated/overwritten MVR into the existing Vision document. Because we use UUIDs to track objects, only updates to existing objects and new objects will be pulled in! It truly is a HUGE improvement to the old workflow (which was plagued by special exports of selected items and other nonsense that users shouldn't have to deal with).

• Like 1

Thanks for this, @bbudzon. Trying it out now. 

A few questions:

1. In the Export MVR dialog in VW:
    1. I see the list of object types to export with check marks but I don't see a way to clear check marks and prevent some objects from being exported. I don't want my Title Block Borders to export to Vision. I have tried single-clicking, double-clicking, space bar, right-clicking. Nothing works.
    2. When I change the "Settings" Radio Button, from "All Objects in the Drawing" to "Visible Objects", I would expect the object counts to change in the Object Types pane. They do not
    3. When I change the "Settings" Radio Button, from "All Objects in the Drawing" to "Selected Objects", The object counts do change, but they do *not* reflect what I actually have selected (currently nothing).
  2. I just tried exporting an MVR of visible objects and it included everything in my scene.
  3. When I did select some objects in the scene, I was able to export just those.
  4. When the fixtures arrive in Vision, they are not named according to their channel as they are via ESC. The "Name" of the Vision node now seems to be the VW "Unit Number", and the VW "Channel Number" is nowhere to be found, despite my Mappings in VW's Spotlight Preferences being corrent. This maked it impossible to identify my fixtures in the Vision Scene Graph.
  5. Things only look right when I tell Vision the unit in my MVR is millimeters, even though the unit in the VWX that was the source of the MVR is inches. Why?

But the geometry does render nicer. And splitting up the objects and tracking them by UID is a wonderful improvement!

@Jake DeGroot Thanks for trying things out!

1. All of this is on the VW side, which I am less familiar with. I'll pass this info along to @klinzey and @Moritz Staffel, however!

2. Same as 1.

3. Same as 1.

4. This seems like an issue with VW not respecting the Data Visualizer Mappings? I know ESC uses those mappings, perhaps MVR isn't? I'll pass this info along as well and try to do some testing on the Vision side.

5. Because MVR is spec'ed to millimeters, this should almost always be selected. The only reason I decided to include it was in the event a 3rd party program implemented MVR in a non-standard way (didn't want to leave everyone hanging!). Millimeters is the default and should rarely be changed, regardless of the units in your VW document.

14 hours ago, Jake DeGroot said:

But the geometry does render nicer. And splitting up the objects and tracking them by UID is a wonderful improvement!

I'm glad you're finding reasons to adopt MVR into your workflow! If you haven't tried out the merge functionality, give that a shot too! Very cool 😎

20 hours ago, bbudzon said:

5. Because MVR is spec'ed to millimeters, this should almost always be selected. The only reason I decided to include it was in the event a 3rd party program implemented MVR in a non-standard way (didn't want to leave everyone hanging!). Millimeters is the default and should rarely be changed, regardless of the units in your VW document.

If this is the case, and vision won't convert units, then it should be stated somewhere, either in the dropdown, special pop up or something. Coming from VW were you can use any unit anywhere and the app will convert it, it makes no sense to be given an option to change units but only millimeter will work.

2 hours ago, Gaspar Potocnik said:

If this is the case, and vision won't convert units, then it should be stated somewhere, either in the dropdown, special pop up or something. Coming from VW were you can use any unit anywhere and the app will convert it, it makes no sense to be given an option to change units but only millimeter will work. 

Vision only operates in inches. In the dialog you are selecting the unit measurement used by the file being imported so it can properly be converted to inches. Regardless of the units used by the application the MVR file will always be stored using millimeters by the current MVR specifications. In future versions we will disable the units option when importing an MVR file. (Earlier versions of the MVR specification did not specify the units so we had to account for different types in the import dialog till the 1.0 specification was adopted by everyone.)

Right now the units selection is similar to the units selection in Vectorworks when you import a DWG/DXF file. When we see an MVR file and we default to millimeters and we are correct 99% of the time but since there could be an MVR file from another application not following the new standards we have to allow you to change the units just in case.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:59 PM, klinzey said:

Vision only operates in inches

Any chance vision can be multi unit as Vectorworks? Or since mvr is mm it can become mm?

In the future Vision may support other distance units. It is a wish list item from several users.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:10 PM, Jake DeGroot said:

When the fixtures arrive in Vision, they are not named according to their channel as they are via ESC. The "Name" of the Vision node now seems to be the VW "Unit Number", and the VW "Channel Number" is nowhere to be found, despite my Mappings in VW's Spotlight Preferences being corrent. This maked it impossible to identify my fixtures in the Vision Scene Graph.

Just ran into this myself today and submitted a bug.