iMac 2019 refresh

Apple refreshed their iMacs yesterday, which I was hoping for as we've been holding off since Jan for new machines: https://www.apple.com/uk/imac/

I'm thinking we'll go with the Radeon Pro Vega 48, partly because we're probably going to add Twinmotion to our repertoire. But what about the i9 processor upgrade? Worth the upgrade as well for Renderworks rendering?

Edited by Christiaan
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Most likely not, partly because we just got a bunch of hardware upgrades prior to this update, and partly because I also need to rework the benchmark since Cinebench removed GPU from their test suite. Still giving it some thought for a useful, free cross platform fix.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have no idea why it was done. The main reason for the update was that some newer CPUs under the old scoring system werent benched as accurately as the rendering scene finished in mere seconds. This wouldn't have affected any of the tests we did though, this was mainly on the upper You-Cant-Afford-To-Smell-This level hardware.

I really just need to set aside some time to give it a good think and see if 15 is what i stick with for now or if we do something completely different. I also want to include some use-case like examples for "Light" "Medium" and "Heavy" usage that will translate well to distributors.

Yes, but there was already community driven CB R15 "Extreme",

which just rendered at higher resolution so that it would take a little longer.

CB R20 doesn't need that long either.

Not sure if that will be enough for another 5 years.

+ App Store only downloads.

(There are download mirrors now though)

Everything a bit strange.